Mayor Adam Stockford said that he’s heard from multiple citizens about the leaf collection problem. Courtesy | Collegian Archives
Trucks stop to collect leaves in Hillsdale. Courtesy | Col­legian Archives

The city will clear brush and leaves from Hillsdale res­i­dents’ homes throughout the month of April, according to the City of Hillsdale department of public services.

Brush col­lection will begin Monday, April 4. City res­i­dents must place brush at their curbs before 7 a.m. on April 4 for the city to collect. 

“Brush is defined as woody material that can be run through a wood chipper to make mulch,” said Director of Public Ser­vices Jake Hammel. “Orna­mental plants, veg­etable plants, flowers, and grasses are not brush, and they need to be put with the leaves and grass.”

The city will not collect stumps, large tree trunks, stones, or dirt. Brush should be kept away from utility poles, fire hydrants, tele­phone service pedestals, and water shut-off valves.

Hammel asked that res­i­dents sep­arate the brush from leaves, grass, and com­postable material. 

“My staff does not have time to dig through mixed piles,” he said. 

The DPS will clear spring leaves beginning Monday, April 11, at 7 a.m. 

“Col­lection is intended for res­i­dential scale only and is not intended for com­mercial prop­erties or those clearing vacant or over­grown land,” DPS said on their website. “No brush from outside the city is allowed to be placed at the curb.”

The City of Hillsdale will open its brush site on Water­works Avenue to city res­i­dents for brush dis­posal on Monday, April 4. The site will operate from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Brush and leaf col­lection occurs in both fall and spring seasons. 

Hillsdale res­ident and Assistant Pro­fessor of Edu­cation Catherine Kuiper responded to the city’s announcement. 

“I guess it’s time to chop up the Christmas tree,” she said.