The Hillsdale College baseball team faced the No. 5 team in the nation, theTrevecca Nazarene Uni­versity Trojans, on Friday and Sat­urday, winning one of the four games in the series. Their one win came on Friday when sophomore Paul Brophy pitched a seven inning shutout, which helped him secure G‑MAC pitcher of the week. 

The first game on Friday ended in Trevecca’s favor, 12 – 8. Leading the offensive charge for Hillsdale was sopho­mores Aidan Brewer and Steve Strachan, who each had a home run. Strachan and sophomore Joe Hard­en­bergh each had doubles as well. The team’s pitching on Friday’s first game was led by sophomore Drew Olssen, who threw one shutout inning, fol­lowed by sophomore Logan Simon, who allowed four earned runs on eight hits with four strikeouts. 

In Friday’s second game, Brophy threw his seven inning shutout, while striking out four and allowing only four hits, and securing his first win of the season. 

“It’s awesome to be Pitcher of the Week.” Brophy said, “I couldn’t have done it without my team behind me.”

Brewer and Hard­en­bergh both homered in the second game on Friday, while Brewer also con­tributed a double and a triple, being only a single short of the cycle. Brewer had four RBI, Hard­en­bergh with two, while sophomore Lewis Beals and junior Cody Kan­clerz each had an RBI of their own. 

On Sat­urday, the Chargers lost 5 – 4 and 8 – 4 in their two games. Junior Will Gifford started on the mound in game one, allowing four runs on five hits while striking out six. Sophomore Danny Passinault con­tributed one of the Chargers four runs with an RBI double in the second inning. 

Sophomore Tommy MacLean started game two, allowing four runs on five hits in four total innings. Beals, Strachan, and sophomore Jeff Landis con­tributed all four of Hillsdale’s runs in the second game. 

“I would say the biggest takeaway is that we learned that we can compete with anyone,” freshman pitcher Zak Kent said, “As long as we play our game.”

“I think this weekend we realized how good of a team we could be when we play good baseball.” Head Coach Tom Vasella said, “Trevecca was a very strong team and deserved every bit of their success, but I feel as if we left the series knowing that we can beat any team if we take care of the baseball and play our game.”

The Chargers face Wayne State on Wednesday, March 30, and then head to Tiffin to face the Dragons on April 2 and April 3 in four games.