Baseball team splits games with McKendree

Home Charger Baseball Baseball team splits games with McKendree

The Hillsdale College men’s baseball team took on the McKendree University Bearcats on Saturday. After dropping the first game 9-5, the Chargers bounced back on offense, putting up 21 runs to McKendree’s six on Saturday.

Junior Will Gifford got the start on the mound for the Chargers in Saturday’s first game, allowing seven runs on nine hits in four total innings. Coming in relief was junior Marc Bergeron, who only allowed two runs on one hit in two innings.

Leading the charge for Hillsdale offensively on Saturday was sophomore center fielder Danny Passinault, who had three hits in four at-bats, including a double and a triple. Sophomore outfielder Joe Hardenbergh also contributed with a two-run homerun in the 6th inning. Sophomore outfielder Lewis Beals had a solo shot of his own in the 1st inning as well. 

Beals was a heavy contributor in Saturday’s second matchup, slugging two homeruns driving in seven total RBI in four appearances. Beals won G-MAC Player of the Week for the first time in his career, after going 11 for 17 at the plate with a double, two triples, and five home runs with 10 RBIs. Beals also hit a single, double, triple, and home run in the same game, a rare accomplishment known as hitting for the cycle. Passinault, sophomore infielder Aidan Brewer, and sophomore infielder Evan Fauquher also had home runs of their own on Saturday. 

Starting on the mound for the Chargers in the second game was sophomore Devin Murray, who threw 3.1 innings, allowing five runs on three hits. Relieving Murray was sophomore Nate Waligora, who allowed only one run on one hit in 2.2 innings. Finishing off the second game in one inning was senior David Toth. 

Junior Sean Nemetz spoke very highly of his team coming off the victory on Saturday, “Our offense really showed out in the games we won. We have some guys who are hot at the plate right now and we’ll look to keep that momentum going into conference play.”

In addition to Nemetz, junior utility player Cooper Petersen spoke highly of the team going into G-MAC play.

“I really like the way the team is coming together so far and I’m excited to see what the rest of the season looks like,” Petersen said. 

“The good thing is that we have had a chance to win in almost every game we have played and that’s all you can ask for going into conference play when the intensity level is going to be much higher.” Head Coach Tom Vassella said,  “We are close to being a really good team, hopefully it comes together this weekend.”

The Chargers will take on University of Findlay for the first G-MAC series of the year on Sunday March 13, and Monday March 14.