‘Threepenny Opera’ hits the stage next week

Home Culture ‘Threepenny Opera’ hits the stage next week
‘Threepenny Opera’  hits the stage next week

Next week, the Hillsdale College Theatre Department presents the “Threepenny Opera” by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill. This jazzy, satirical piece highlights both the acting and musical skills of Hillsdale’s theatre students.

Theatre department chair James Brandon is directing the musical alongside the department chair of music James Holleman. The pair said they are looking forward to highlighting both the musical and acting abilities of the current theater program, believing the “Threepenny Opera” the perfect balance between the two. 

The last two musicals that we produced were heavy on operatic vocals, and the one before that had a significant dance component,” Brandon said. “‘Threepenny Opera’ is an infrequently performed classic, one of the first truly modern musicals, and it provides opportunities for singers and actors in equal measure.”

The production is a satirical critique on the rise of capitalism in modern society. Revolving around the infamous gangster Macheath, the narrative uncovers the reality of corruption and imperfect justice in the back alleys of London. Brandon described this show as an opportunity for Hillsdale students to see a different perspective on modern society. 

“I also hope that they appreciate the point of view that the musical provides, a cynical look at a capitalist society as seen from the underclass,” Brandon said. “Brecht and Weill present a somewhat different view of the world than we typically encounter at Hillsdale, and this has been an essential function of the theatre since antiquity.”

Featuring a jazz influenced score with notes of German dance and Tango, Holleman expressed his excitement for audiences to witness the hard work and skill of the actors and orchestra in this upbeat, classic musical.

“I am absolutely thrilled with the consistent positive, supportive, attitude of the cast and orchestra during this rehearsal process,” Holleman said. “The only drama has been on the stage where it belongs.”