Coffee is better than tea

Home Opinion Coffee is better than tea
Coffee is more energizing | Wikimedia Commons

Before writing this, I stopped by Penny’s to get a coffee.

Coffee is energizing: It makes most people feel less tired and enhances brain functioning. Coffee helps me focus on my studies and write faster. (The jury’s still out on whether it makes me write better.) Tea supposedly has caffeine in it, but I never feel its effects. In fact, I usually want to go to sleep after I have tea.

Coffee is actually a healthy addition to your diet. The health and wellness website Healthline.com assessed a number of peer-reviewed studies on coffee and reported that coffee is high in antioxidants and may help you live longer.

“Not only can your daily cup of joe help you feel more energized, burn fat and improve physical performance, it may also lower your risk of several conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease,” Healthline reported.

These health benefits from coffee come in many different forms. There’s espresso, cold brew, and a classic drip, just to name a few. And the rich flavor combines so well with milk products that baristas have come up with endless ways to combine the two. It works very well with oat milk and almond milk too, if you prefer those. So, there’s something for everyone.

Meanwhile, tea is too weak and watery that when you add milk (or even a dairy-free substitute) it overpowers the tea. Sure, there’s such a thing as a “tea latte,” but they usually just taste like perfume-infused hot milk. Besides, the combination doesn’t always work. I remember when I had tea parties as a little girl I would try putting cream and sugar in my tea as one would with coffee. The cream curdled.

Coffee is American — the drink of the revolution. Tea is, well, British.

As proof that coffee is superior, consider how well it combines well with other food and drink. Go to a grocery store and you can easily find coffee-flavored ice cream, chocolate-covered espresso beans, and tiramisu. Have you ever heard of tea-leaf-flavored ice cream? It probably doesn’t exist, because no one would buy it.