Student Federation considers crypto club and yoga, funds Catholic Society proposal

Home News Student Federation considers crypto club and yoga, funds Catholic Society proposal

Student Federation hears three different student proposals
Courtesy | Student Federation

The Student Federation fully funded a proposal from the Catholic Society and considered the status of the Yoga Club and the Crypto Club in its meeting Feb. 10. 

Senior David Strobach, president of Catholic Society, said the club needed $2,985 to reimburse speakers recently brought to campus, and $5,320 to fund an upcoming off-campus retreat.

“The retreat is the largest recurring expense for Catholic Society,” Strobach said. 

Strobach said the club is the largest student organization on campus and has grown significantly in the last few years, but its fundraisers are not enough to adequately support events. 

The club requested $8,305, which the federation granted unanimously.

The federation granted the Yoga Club full-club status and approved the Crypto Club for probationary status.

Jade Juniper, president and founder of Yoga Club, is a certified yoga instructor. For the last year, the club operated under probationary club status.

Juniper explained the growing demand for the club, which has weekly meetings and monthly workshops.

“The club helps students rise to take care of their own health and cope with academic and personal stress,” Juniper said.

Multiple federation representatives expressed concerns about the possible spiritual aspects involved with yoga. Juniper said she does not encourage the spiritual aspect, but leaves it up to the discretion of the students.

The club received its status as an official campus club with a unanimous vote from the federation. 

The Crypto Club was unanimously approved for probationary status. 

Andy Walker, president of Crypto Club, said he has already started planning weekly meetings and thinks the club will be a great way for students to learn more about cryptocurrency. According to Walker, the club will give information rather than investment advice.

“I’m excited to see where this club can go and how it can benefit Hillsdale students who are interested in a new and rapidly evolving space that has the potential to significantly impact the future,” Walker said.

The federation has $41,498 available to spend this semester. According to federation treasurer and junior Regina Gravrok, any remaining funds will rollover to the fall semester. The federation also completed committee elections and swore in the last two members for the term, which runs through December 2022. 

Junior Noah Schleusener was elected as the sergeant-at-arms to the federation for the term.

“It’s nice to get to watch things happen,” he said. “I’m excited.” 

The next Student Federation meeting is at 7 p.m. on Feb. 24 in the Formal Lounge.