SAB to host Moroccan-themed President’s Ball this weekend

Home News SAB to host Moroccan-themed President’s Ball this weekend
Students gamble during President’s Ball in 2021.
| Collegian Archives

Students are invited to dance the night away at the President’s Ball this Saturday, Feb. 12, in the Searle Center. Hosted by the Student Activities Board, the theme is inspired by Moroccan and Mediterranean cultures.  

The evening will open with the Hillsdale Hepcats Swing Club at 8:30 p.m. and continue until 12 a.m.

This year’s President’s Ball will return to the traditional format, after SAB altered last year’s event to accommodate COVID-19 regulations. 

“Last year, SAB planned Casino Night to try to do something different than the typical President’s Ball dancing,” said Riley Arlinghaus, student activities program assistant. “We talked about bringing that back but elected to return to the more traditional model this year.”

The dress code is formal attire.

“It’s like prom but for everyone,” Arlinghaus said.

Director of Student Activities Zane Mabry said the chance to dress up was one of his favorite aspects of the event during his time as a Hillsdale student.

“It’s a unique thing that happens once a year and it’s just a fun opportunity,” Mabry said. “Going over with a bunch of guys from the dorm every year was always a really fun thing to do.”  

The menu for the night includes beef kofta kebabs, chicken tenders, pita chips with hummus, dried fruits, desserts, and mocktails. 

A Michigan band, Skyline and the Backstreet Horns, will provide live music.

“It’ll be a lot of older classic songs and newer classic songs, so a good mix of stuff,” Mabry said.

Around 10:30 p.m., SAB will announce the king and queen of the ball, who will dance with the Arnns to “Moonlight Serenade.” 

“The President’s Ball court is selected by faculty nominations,” Arlinghaus said. “The court members will be interviewed this week, and that interview panel will select the President’s Ball king and queen to be announced at the event.” 

The ball presents a great opportunity for busy Hillsdale students to unwind for an evening of food, fun, and dance. 

“It’s a nice little break and a fun event to throw a little curveball into the regular doldrums,” junior Ava Helms said. “You make so many fun memories, have good conversations, get some dancing in, and grab some good photos.”