Hillsdale in fight for conference tournament

Home Charger Women's Basketball Hillsdale in fight for conference tournament

Every player on the Hillsdale College women’s basketball team scored in the past week after winning back-to-back games against Lake Erie College and Trevecca Nazarene University.

The Chargers faced the Storm on their senior night and won 104-71, the most points scored by the Chargers since last February. Senior guards Lauren Daffenberg and Sophia Pierce were joined by their families in a pregame ceremony to honor their careers.

“It was really good, and very emotional,” Pierce said. “It was the point where I realized basketball was coming to an end. Despite their poking-fun at my emotions, it was great to have great teammates by my side.”

Daffenberg said she did not feel the same way, saying there’s much more work to be done.

“It was just weird to follow senior night up with a Monday home game and another this Thursday,” Daffenberg said. “It just hasn’t really hit me yet.”

Daffenberg hit three three-pointers against Lake Erie, finishing with 10 points total. 

“I’m glad that everything’s starting to click together at the end of the season, that’s when you want it to,” Daffenberg said. “Our offense is running really smoothly, so I think we’re hitting our peak at the right time.”

Every Charger on the roster got a chance to score against the Storm. Freshman forward Carly Callahan led the team with 15 points, and was followed closely by freshman guard Peighton Nelson with 13 points.

“It’s always sad to be leaving, and I know that the program and team are destined for great things, especially with the freshman now,” Pierce said. “It’s really nice to know that the people who are coming back next year are so determined.”

The upperclassmen came out strong against the Storm as well. Senior guard Grace Touchette gained 13 points and six rebounds for the Chargers, and was followed closely by junior forward Sydney Mills and junior forward Arianna Sysum who each had 11.

“I definitely think this program is only going to continue to grow, and thankfully we’re keeping a lot of leadership around like Grace, Sydney, and Maverick,” Daffenberg said.  

Junior forward Maverick Delp led the Chargers with eight rebounds. 

“Maverick is the ultimate team player, she’ll do anything to benefit the team,” Head Coach Charlie Averkamp said. “She’s really come into her own offensively and defensively.”

The team faced the Trevecca Nazarene Knights two days later, and was able to pull out a 75-55 win after a rocky start. 

“We, admittedly, didn’t play our best game in the first half,” Pierce said. “We really came out at the end of half time though. Everyone had this determination coming into the third quarter, knowing we needed to step on them and not look back. We always knew it was a game we could and should win.”

The Chargers won every quarter of the game, but gained momentum by winning a decisive third frame, 21-12. 

“Lauren, especially the Trevecca game, had quite a few clutch three pointers that really got us going offensively,” Pierce said. “Grace was also a really great offensive presence for us.”

Daffenberg went four-of-eight on her threes, and finished with 14 points for the Chargers overall. She was second only to Touchette with 15 points and five rebounds.

Mills earned her 11th double double of the season with 11 points and 14 rebounds. 

“She’s unbelievable, she’s unrelentless on the board,” Averkamp said. “Any time you average a double double two seasons in a row is amazing. She’s really just been such a luxury to us.”

After the past week’s wins, the Chargers have fought their way back into the top six, therefore qualifying for the G-MAC tournament. Their final two games of the regular season will determine whether or not they keep it.

“These are big games,” Daffenberg said. “It’s nice to play games that actually matter at the end of the season. We haven’t gotten the chance to do that in the past couple years.”

The Chargers finished 10th in the conference last season with a record of 4-17. 

“More than anything, I think our team is hungry for these games,” Pierce said. “Last year we were not close to playing important games at this point in the year, and we’re ready to get to do that.”