The Inklings come to Hillsdale in upcoming CCA lecture series

Home News The Inklings come to Hillsdale in upcoming CCA lecture series
David Payne, one of the speakers at the Inklings CCA, impersonates C.S. Lewis. Courtesy | An Evening with C.S. Lewis 

The Inklings created some of the best-loved literature in the 20th century, and next week they’re coming to Hillsdale College as the subject of a CCA.

The Inklings were an informal literary discussion group associated with J. R. R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. 

“Professor of History Bradley Birzer will introduce the program by talking about all of the Inklings, including Owen Barfield and Charles Williams,” said Matt Bell, director of the CCA program. 

English literary critic Michael Ward will lecture on “The Abolition of Man” and Professor of English at Wheaton College Michael Drout will present on J. R. R. Tolkien’s scholarship.

Bell said he recommends enrolled students arrive early to ensure seating. 

“This program will be very well attended by friends of the college — especially for a CCA in January — and students alike,” Bell said. “If it’s not a record, it will be very close.” 

Past CCAs have featured literature, either about a genre like the American novel or epic poetry, or about an individual author, like Shakespeare. However, the Inklings CCA will feature a group of writers, rather than a specific genre or individual writer.

“They are great literary minds and their works help us think clearly not only about human nature and the world we live in, but also about the world to come,” Bell said.

Freshman Maya Toman, who will be attending the CCA, said she is very interested to learn more about Inkling members J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis and their work. 

“I love their writings and I am excited to see what the speakers have to say about that,” Toman said.

Toman said she studied a few of C. S. Lewis’s works in high school.

“‘The Abolition of Man’ is probably one of my favorite books of all time, but Tolkien is my favorite writer of all time,” she said.