Ben and his sister explored Boston on Monday. Ben Wilson | Collegian

Here’s an idea for your next break: fly to a new city for the day.

My sister Chloe and I did this on Monday. We left Chicago at 6 a.m. and returned at 11 p.m., vis­iting Boston in between.

It’s pos­sible to see a lot of a city in 12 well-planned hours. 

We visited Paul Revere’s house, Bunker Hill, the scene of the Boston Mas­sacre, and a dozen more his­torical sites. We visited two restau­rants, two bak­eries, and two coffee shops. And plenty of Instagram pho­to­shoots took place — for her, of course. 

We actually ran through our entire list of things to do with two hours to spare. Perhaps this was because we were in Boston on a Monday in January and every­thing was closed, but I credit our pace and determination. 

Regardless, a full day in a city is enough time to see every­thing on Yelp’s “15 things you must do” lists and eat lots of local cuisine in between. 

Airfare can be cheap if bought ahead of time and on less-traveled days. Two roundtrips to Boston was less than $150. 

That may sound expensive, but you can easily spend that much at an amusement park. 

Perhaps you’d find that more fun, but those of us who con­sider a Ferris Wheel as pushing our limits can opt for the day trip.

Hotels and car rentals can add up quickly, but a day trip to a walkable city requires no such thing. 

Boston is a great city for this type of adventure. Its airport and his­torical sites are close together.  Chicago, Mil­waukee, and Seattle would work well, too.

While it’s uncon­ven­tional, a one-day vacation can satisfy your travel desire while saving hun­dreds of dollars on lodging. 

If you go to Boston, I have the perfect trip plan that I’m happy to share.