The Hillsdale College men’s bas­ketball team has gone 5 – 2 since the beginning of con­ference play, pushing their overall record to 10 – 3. 

The Chargers are tied with Malone for second in the con­ference, sitting just a half-game behind Walsh.

Between November and December, the Chargers flew off on a six-game win streak, including their first four in-con­ference games. This streak was snapped by Findlay, who held all starters except junior Patrick Cartier to single digits in scoring.

After a win against Northwood and a post­poned game, the Chargers first game of the new year was a crushing home loss to the division-leading Walsh Cavaliers.

“After the Walsh game, we sat down and really looked at our­selves and realized that we had to change some­thing so we came out with a lot more intensity and more energy and really got to work the next day and then going into the Saturday’s game our men­tality was just we got to go out and do every­thing we can get the win,” freshman forward Joe Reuter said. 

The team went on to take down Malone on Sat­urday behind a career day from Reuter. He dropped a career-high 21 points on 10-of-12 shooting, leading the team in scoring. He has also emerged as, per­centage wise, the team’s best three-point shooter.

“He prac­tices and works out harder and more often than anybody I know, he’s waking up at 6am to go to the gym every morning,” senior forward Austen Yarian said. “Just getting some expe­rience playing at this level com­pared to high school, I think now that he’s found his ways, he’s gonna get a lot more pro­ductive for the rest of this year.”

Despite only taking four shots in the game, Yarian also posted a career high, grabbing 15 rebounds. It marks the fourth time that he has col­lected double-digit boards this year, twice in the last three games.

“He leads us in rebounds, he leads us in assists, he’s our second leading scorer,” Head Coach John Tharp said. “We ask him to do a lot, and when he’s playing good bas­ketball it makes us incredibly dangerous.”

The team’s leading scorer, Cartier, has fol­lowed up a season where he won G‑MAC Male Athlete of the Year with another dom­inant start. He averages a con­ference-high 22.4 points per game while shooting a con­ference second-best 63.2% from the field.

The Chargers now look forward to three home games in their next four con­tests, beginning with Ashland on Thursday. Tharp says that the team has failed to play well at home so far this season, empha­sizing that it’s a nar­rative he wants to change. All three of the team’s losses so far have come at home.

“That’s the thing that’s been really dis­cour­aging to me to be honest with you, we just have not been good at home,” Tharp said. “I can’t tell you exactly why that is, but we’ve got to change that nar­rative if we want to be successful.”