Dylan Lee Jones is the suspect in a fatal August hit-and-run. Courtesy | JailTracker

The suspect in a fatal hit-and-run faces a new charge for credit card fraud.

Dylan Lee Jones, 24, faces mul­tiple charges in con­nection with a fatal hit-and-run that occured in August 2021. Since his arrest in Sep­tember, Jones has been charged with two counts of pos­session of metham­phet­amine, and most recently, illegal use of a credit card.

Kimm Burger, Jones’ defense attorney, said another inmate accused Jones of using his per­sonal charge account. According to Burger, a per­sonal charge account is similar to an ATM card.

“The other inmate alleges that he had money on his account to use the tele­phone and that he only called one number,” Burger said. “It is alleged that the account had been used by another person such that almost $18 was missing.”

Deputies pro­ceeded to inves­tigate the incident, Burger said. 

Jones allegedly com­mitted fraud on Jan. 16, and deputies arrested Jones on Jan. 20, according to Jail­TrackerJones’s bond is set at $5,000. 

Burger said Jones is awaiting mul­tiple trials in addition to the new charge.

“He does have a new charge pending for illegal use of a trans­action device which is a felony car­rying a pos­sible penalty of up to four years in prison,” Burger said. “He has four addi­tional files that are waiting for trial.”

Jones has four addi­tional charges against him for which he is awaiting sep­arate trials. Jones was charged with one count of fleeing and eluding in a stolen motor vehicle, two counts of pos­session of metham­phet­a­mines, and one count of reckless driving. 

Jones has a probable cause con­ference for this charge scheduled on Feb. 2, at 9:30 in the circuit court.

This is an informal way to try to resolve the case,” Burger said. 

Burger described where this case is headed.

“If it does not resolve, then it will be set for a pre­lim­inary exam wherein the pros­e­cutor has to show that probable cause exists that a crime was com­mitted and probable cause exists to show he did the crime,” Burger said. 

Jones is a suspect in a fatal hit-and-run that occured on Aug. 21, 2021, killing 56-year-old Kevin Brewer and his dog. Brewer was walking near Moore Road and Wildlife Drive when he was struck by a white Chevy Malibu at 8:30 a.m. He was pro­nounced dead at the scene, according to Hillsdale City Police reports.