Chargers softball team to host second annual euchre tournament, seeks to fund trips

Home News Chargers softball team to host second annual euchre tournament, seeks to fund trips
Hillsdale College softball team
Courtesy | Summer Fields

Students and staff will have the opportunity to showcase their euchre abilities in an upcoming tournament.

The softball team will host its second annual euchre tournament to raise money for the team’s travel season at 7 p.m. on Jan. 28 in the Old Snack Bar.

For $20, teams of two can enter the tournament. Entry fees help offset costs for the softball team, according to freshman softball player Olivia Latimer. Costs include a trip to Texas, where the team will play five games, and a spring break trip to Florida, Latimer said.

“Our softball team is not fully funded like some of the other sports on campus,” Latimer said. “The money that we raise with this tournament will really help us with our trips, our equipment, and everything we need to really keep our program going.”

The championship euchre game will be held at 9:30 p.m. with grand prizes for the winners.

“There’s going to be a couple things in a prize basket,” senior Madison Rathbun said. “One of those things is some minor league baseball team merchandise.”

Euchre is a two-on-two card game with a limited deck. The game is widely played on campus and is easy to learn, Latimer said. Rathbun said the softball team often plays euchre because it’s easy to play while traveling for games. Overall, the tournament caters to Hillsdale’s Midwestern students, she said.

“Euchre is definitely a major Midwest thing, and Hillsdale is a classic Midwest college,” Rathbun said.

The tournament’s timing is aimed at accommodating the softball schedule and academic load of students, Rathbun said.

“It’s just a good way to get back on campus,” Rathbun said. “Before anyone on campus gets overly swamped with things, it’s a nice way to spend a Friday night.”

Students and staff can enter the tournament by emailing Rathbun at mrathbun@hillsdale.edu. Sign-ups will be open throughout the week.