Senior Jacob Hickey building his gin­ger­bread house Courtesy | SAB

Thirty teams will put their gin­ger­bread house dec­o­rating skills to the test on Friday night at the annual Student Activ­ities Board spon­sored Gin­ger­bread Wars. 

At 7 p.m. on Dec. 3, teams of two to three stu­dents will have 30 minutes to build a gin­ger­bread house, plus three mystery ingre­dients to incor­porate into their creation. 

The judges will award prizes for first, second, and third place, as well as for the best dressed and most spirited teams.

Director of Student Activ­ities Zane Mabry ‘20 said judges will be looking for the cre­ativity and pre­sen­tation of the cre­ations as well as the incor­po­ration of the mystery ingredients. 

“Every year it just blows me away how good some of the houses are,” Mabry said.

Mabry said the Gin­ger­bread Wars are more about having fun than serious competition. 

“We wanted to cel­e­brate Christmas together, and building a gin­ger­bread house cap­tures a childhood part of Christmas,” Student Activ­ities Assistant Program Director Riley Arlinghaus ‘21 said. “It’s a very nos­talgic season, and this is a fun way to take some­thing you do with your family and bring it to your college family and do it with your friends.”

The event will give stu­dents a break from the busyness of their last week before finals. 

“The last week of classes is always really stressful,” Arlinghaus said, “and this is a really fun way to have a little com­pe­tition and have some laughs and make a memory with friends at the end of a stressful and full week.”

SAB will provide hot cocoa for both par­tic­i­pants and spectators.