Tower Dancers perform in 2015

The Tower Dancers will present a diverse dance concert fea­turing ballet, con­tem­porary, and litur­gical dance this Sunday, Dec. 5 at 2 p.m. in Markel Auditorium.

“I think we offer such a variety in terms of styles of dances,” said Holly Hobbs, director of dance and the Tower Dancers. “We have very clas­sical ballet, we have con­tem­porary pieces, we have more modern dance pieces, we have the litur­gical dance ensemble per­forming, which is new this year. So, we just offer such a variety of oppor­tu­nities to expe­rience dance.”

The dances were chore­o­graphed by several artists including Hobbs, Sean Hoskins, the newest dance faculty member, guest artists Molly Paberzs and Sherry Jerome, and senior Chloe Kersey.

Hobbs chore­o­graphed a work called “Bodys­tories” which seeks to jux­tapose the strict expec­ta­tions of body image in the ballet world with the graceful moves of the dance. She will also be pre­senting “No Words,” which is a con­tem­porary cel­e­bration of the work of Georgia O’Keeffe.

“[Bodys­tories] is def­i­nitely a hard and chal­lenging piece, and more emo­tional,” said freshman Laura Luke, who will be one of the dancers in the piece.

Hoskins not only chore­o­graphed a work for student dancers but will be per­forming his own dance solo work “iSelf.” The piece will inves­tigate the inter­section of dance and technology.

“It uses a tech­nology called Isadora to trigger dif­ferent images on a pro­jection based on his movement as he is dancing,” Hobbs said.

Guest artists Molly Paberzs and Sherry Jerome also worked with stu­dents during the semester to chore­o­graph dances.

The Litur­gical Dance Ensemble will also be per­forming for the first time. The ensemble, which grew out of a course offered by Hobbs, explores dance done as an act of worship.

“It’s meant to be a way to have a spir­itual con­nection,” said Hobbs. “I hope stu­dents will feel inspired and they’ll rec­ognize the sense of praise and joy that the dancers bring to their movements.”

Luke sees dance as an important com­ponent of edu­cation and as an extension of the exercise and growth of the mind.

“It’s really inter­esting to take intense con­cen­tration and focus and channel it back into your body and to learn how to control your poise and your movement; in a similar way, we try to focus that into our minds,” Luke said.