Whitley Res­i­dence looks to establish dorm tra­di­tions Courtesy | Cecelia Pletan

Whitley Res­i­dence seeks to create its own annual musical tra­dition fea­turing a live DJ. 

Whitley Res­i­dence will hold its all-campus phil­an­thropy event “Hillsdale House” on Sat­urday, Nov. 20, fea­turing drinks, snacks, “house” disco and funk music in the Old Snack Bar.

Admission is free, but a $2 donation is encouraged in the form of venmo or cash dona­tions. All pro­ceeds will benefit Helping Hands Preg­nancy Resource Center.

Whitley Head Res­ident Assistant Jack Coker said he is excited about the event and hopes it will be a suc­cessful and mem­o­rable Whitley event.

“What’s inter­esting with Whitley is that we are a very new presence on campus, with this year being our fourth year as a guys’ dorm,” Coker said, “While Simpson, Gal­loway, and Nied­feldt all have been able to find suc­cessful all-campus events, we are still working on finding some­thing that works for us. I am con­fident that this event will be a great time for all and hope­fully we can make it a yearly event!”

Whitley RA and senior Carter Flo­ering said stu­dents who are not  “house” music fans will still enjoy the event. 

“I hope that people’s curiosity of the music will draw them to the event,” Flo­ering said. “I think anyone can learn to love and enjoy disco/funk ‘house’ music.”

Senior Whitley RA David Hunter said  he hopes “Hillsdale House” will be a fun break during the end of semester busyness.

“I would love to see ‘Hillsdale House’ become an annual all-campus event,” Hunter said. “Our goal is for people to come to the OSB, for­getting about the hectic end of the semester, and enjoy a night of chill disco music.”

Coker’s love for house and punk music inspired the guys with the idea of the “Hillsdale House” event.

“We decided that a DJ event with a fun dance vibe would be a great way for stu­dents to blow off steam during this time in the semester,” he said. 

According to Coker, the goals of the event are twofold: “We’re hoping for people to have a great time, and to raise money for a fan­tastic charity in the community.”

Coker said the event will feature spe­cific artists such as Daft Punk, Justice, Basement Jaxx, and Stardust. 

“Helping Hands is so grateful for such wide-support across the campus com­munity,” Helping Hands director Bryce Asberg said. “Student fundraisers like Whitley House are essential to us con­tinuing to equip women and men to make life-affirming choices.”