Slow Start Dooms Chargers at Ashland

Home Charger Football Slow Start Dooms Chargers at Ashland
Slow Start Dooms Chargers at Ashland

After trailing 22-0 at halftime, the Hillsdale College Chargers fell 28-17 to the Ashland University Eagles. 

The Chargers, previously tied for first in the conference, are now tied with Ashland and Ohio Dominican University Panthers for third with only two regular season matchups remaining, both of which will be played at home. 

The University of Findlay Oilers and the Tiffin University Dragons currently sit atop the division, both with 4-1 conference records. The Chargers hold tie-breakers over both of those teams, however, meaning that the G-MAC Championship will be a difficult but not impossible task.

Head Coach Keith Otterbein stated his outlook on the next two games and the G-MAC championship. 

“You play this week to win the game,” Otterbein said. “Our seniors have two games left, so you’re playing for them to go out here at home the right way. Whether the math works out or not we’ll let that happen.” 

The Chargers’ struggles against Ashland started immediately as the Eagles scored their first touchdown within two minutes of kickoff. Before the end of the half, Ashland scored two more touchdowns and kicked a field goal, all without an answering score from Hillsdale, making the score 22-0 at half. 

In the third quarter, Ashland kicked another field goal after an interception from sophomore quarterback Garrit Aissen, but the Chargers answered with a 9-yard touchdown run by redshirt freshman running back Logan VanEnkevort, making the score 25-7 with 2:12 left in the third quarter. 

After an interception by junior defensive back Mason Dooley, redshirt freshman Julian Lee kicked a 43-yard field goal, and on their next offensive drive Aissen threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Alec Foos, bringing the Chargers within eight points of Ashland with 4:58 to play.  

Ashland, however, soaked up all but 20 seconds of that time on the following drive, kicking a field goal and making the final score 28-17, Ashland. 

Senior defensive back Alex Anschutz, who finished the game with eight tackles, commented on the ups and downs of the team’s season. 

“I think consistency can be challenging for any team,” Anschutz said.  “We have proven that we can play with the best teams and beat them but there is a lot that goes into that. Coming out flat against Ashland, I believe, was detrimental to us. Looking back at Tiffin and Findlay, we forced turnovers early which helped us control the game from the start.” 

The Chargers’ next matchup will come on Nov. 6 against the Kentucky Wesleyan University Panthers. The Panthers are 1-4 in the conference with a 3-6 overall record, with their most recent loss coming against Lake Erie. 

When asked about his goals for next week’s game, redshirt freshman receiver Austen Williams, who led the team with 70 receiving yards against Ashland, answered in a single word. 

“Win,” Williams said. “It just comes down to winning. Not really concerned about a record or the external factors. We got one job: to go win a football game.”