One more Moore: Adopting from South Korea

Home Features One more Moore: Adopting from South Korea
Cameron Moore smiles with his family. Collegian | Cameron Moore

When Cameron and Wendy Moore first began dating, they knew they would want to adopt internationally — after all, Wendy Moore herself was an adoptee from South Korea. Now, years later, the couple’s long-awaited dream is soon to come true.

Lecturer in English Cameron Moore and his wife Wendy Moore expect to adopt their fourth child, a boy from South Korea.

“We’ve been matched with a boy from South Korea, but it’s still a year and more of paperwork before we can go to South Korea, have our court hearings, and bring him home,” Cameron Moore said. 

Both sides of their family have a history of adoption, which inspired the couple’s own desire to adopt. Cameron Moore’s brother was adopted, and Wendy Moore was adopted into her family from South Korea.

“Since Wendy was adopted from South Korea, it made a lot of sense to adopt from there,” Cameron Moore said. “We were open to adopting from many different countries, but when we talked over the various programs with our adoption agency, it became clear that South Korea was the best fit for us.” 

Wendy Moore said adoption has played a large part in both her and her husband’s lives.

“I think the main reason is that we’ve simply always known that our family would be partially grown through adoption,” Wendy Moore said. “It’s been on our hearts since before we were married.” 

The most difficult thing about this process has been the paperwork, but Wendy has kept the process on track, Cameron Moore said. 

“Thankfully, Wendy is an organizational mastermind, so she can keep it all straight,” Moore said. 

Although there have been difficulties, the Moores said they look forward to the day when they can finally bring their boy home. 

“Everyone has been kind along the way, but I am very excited to be on the plane home with him,” Wendy Moore said. 

Cameron Moore said he is most looking forward to the little moments his family will spend together.

“The most rewarding thing will be finally getting to all sit down together for things like dinner and bedtime stories and seeing our whole family present,” Moore said. 

The Moore children, Evelyn (10),  Isaac (8), and Ruth (6), said they are excited about having a new brother. They look forward to things like teaching him English and showing him how to play with Legos. 

“It’s something new to try and I think he’ll be cute,” Evelyn said. 

The youngest of the children, Ruth, said she was excited “because we haven’t had a baby yet.” 

Isaac said he looks forward to no longer being the only brother in the family.

“I’m excited to have a new brother because then the girls and boys will be matched,” Isaac said, “I’ll have somebody to watch over in the night.” 

Moore said his children often express their excitement when discussing how they will all play together once they bring him home. 

“Many of their conversations about his arrival have to do with toy distribution,” Cameron Moore said. “For instance, they have considered at length the effect that he will have on the complex Lego economy they have constructed.” 

Through the excitement and the waiting process, the Moores said they have high hopes and dreams for their new son.

“I hope he will always feel part of our family, secure, and loved. I hope he comes to find that being adopted is a part of his story and that it is something to celebrate,” Wendy Moore said. 

The most rewarding part of this process will be when the addition of their new son will feel normal, Wendy Moore said.

“I think it will be that moment when we realize we’re a family with all the ups and downs, when we are no longer ‘adjusting’ but simply living the new normal,” Wendy Moore said. “Life has a way of giving you an unexpected moment that makes you pause and say, ‘Wow, we’ve come this far. I didn’t even realize it.’”

God’s provision has guided them along the way, Cameron Moore said, and they are grateful to teach their children what their parents taught them. 

“Perhaps the greatest blessing and provision from God is that Wendy and I both grew up in healthy families where adoption worked really well,” Moore said, “We feel that, in many ways, we are simply stewarding what our parents gave us, and we are grateful to pass that on our children.”