The Hillsdale men’s cross country team took 19th place at the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Cham­pi­onships on Sat­urday in Evans­ville, IN.

In its final meet of the season, instead of their normal 8 kilo­meter dis­tance, the team ran a 10k race.

The Chargers were led once again by junior Adam Weir, who earned All-Region Honors on Sat­urday. Weir placed 23rd overall with a time 31:11. 

“All-Region has been some­thing I’ve had my eye on ever since I ran my first regional race my freshman year,” Weir said. “I was close sophomore year but getting the actual medal this year was an incredible feeling. I had my best race on the day I needed it most and I’m immensely proud of that.”

Head Coach R.P. White echoed in Weir’s excitement, pointing out that All-Region had been a shared goal of theirs throughout Weir’s career 

“It feels great to have Adam All-Region,” White said. “It’s some­thing we had talked about in 2019 and he barely missed it. To have his vision carried out for over two years, and for him to achieve that goal was special.” 

Fol­lowing Weir for the Chargers was senior Mark Miller, who returned from an injury to finish his Hillsdale cross country career placing 80th overall with a time of 32:46. 

Miller was fol­lowed by freshmen Alex Mitchell, Micah Van­derkooi, and Preston Fagerlin. Van­derkooi fin­ished at the 33:55 mark, which earned him 127th overall. Mitchell and Fagerlin fin­ished 144th and 145th, with times of 34:10.9 and 34:11.1, respectively. 

Also com­peting in his first NCAA Regional Cham­pi­onship was freshman Donnie McArdle, who ran a 34:34 10k. 

The Chargers totalled 519 points, which earned them 19th overall, while Grand Valley State won the meet with 49 points. 

“I’m most proud of how the men had grown phys­i­cally and men­tally,” White said, “They are a rel­a­tively young group with a bias toward the track events. They were tena­cious about being excellent and growing as long dis­tance runners.”