Hay bales, pumpkins, and a vintage tractor at Meckley's Flavor Fruit Farm. Josh Newhook | Collegian
Hay bales, pumpkins, and a vintage tractor at Meck­ley’s Flavor Fruit Farm. Josh Newhook | Collegian

Meckley’s Flavor Fruit Farm hosted its Sp-BOO-Tacular Fall Fes­tival last weekend.

The event was the last event in Meckley’s 65th annual season of fall fes­tivals at the farm, according to a Facebook post. 

Meckley’s, located on S. Jackson Road in Cement City, has been family-owned and operated since it opened in 1968.

The event offered free animal exhibit viewing and yard games. It also included a two-mile-long corn maze, wagon rides, and U‑pick pumpkins, which were $5 for any size on Sat­urday, and free on Sunday. It even offered a “Pumpkin Haus”: a small, tem­porary green­house filled with dif­ferent-colored pumpkins, gourds, and hay bales for guests to take pictures.

For events, Bill Hummel carved a giant pumpkin on Sat­urday and handed out giant pumpkin seeds to plant next season on Sunday afternoon, according to a Facebook post.

Meckley’s also had a wide variety of products to choose from in its store over the weekend, including donuts, pas­tries, jams, salsa, olive oil, and vinegar, according to its website. It also sells hard and soft cider, wine, and other alco­holic beverages.

Junior Cecilia Moran, who attended the event with some of her friends on Sat­urday, said it was her first time at Meckley’s. She said she enjoyed walking through the farm’s U‑pick pumpkin patch.

“It’s nice to have access to that sort of thing away from home,” Moran said.

She said she also enjoyed the selection of food for sale, espe­cially the tomato basil cheese curds.

“As an Italian, I appre­ciated their variety,” she said.

Brittany Phillips of Blackman brought her two sons and their friend to Meckley’s on Sat­urday. She said it was her second visit to the farm in just two weeks.

“We walked around to get the pumpkins and pas­tries, and now we are going to go through the corn maze,” Phillips said.

She said she espe­cially liked the can­nolis and apple cider donuts that Meckley’s offers.

“You can tell they are made with love, and are not processed,” she said.

Phillips said she rec­om­mends the farm for an outing.

“It is a nice place and expe­rience,” she said. “This is a decent place to bring your friends, family and kids.”