Meckley’s holds last fall festival of the season

Home City News Meckley’s holds last fall festival of the season
Hay bales, pumpkins, and a vintage tractor at Meckley's Flavor Fruit Farm. Josh Newhook | Collegian
Hay bales, pumpkins, and a vintage tractor at Meckley’s Flavor Fruit Farm. Josh Newhook | Collegian

Meckley’s Flavor Fruit Farm hosted its Sp-BOO-Tacular Fall Festival last weekend.

The event was the last event in Meckley’s 65th annual season of fall festivals at the farm, according to a Facebook post. 

Meckley’s, located on S. Jackson Road in Cement City, has been family-owned and operated since it opened in 1968.

The event offered free animal exhibit viewing and yard games. It also included a two-mile-long corn maze, wagon rides, and U-pick pumpkins, which were $5 for any size on Saturday, and free on Sunday. It even offered a “Pumpkin Haus”: a small, temporary greenhouse filled with different-colored pumpkins, gourds, and hay bales for guests to take pictures.

For events, Bill Hummel carved a giant pumpkin on Saturday and handed out giant pumpkin seeds to plant next season on Sunday afternoon, according to a Facebook post.

Meckley’s also had a wide variety of products to choose from in its store over the weekend, including donuts, pastries, jams, salsa, olive oil, and vinegar, according to its website. It also sells hard and soft cider, wine, and other alcoholic beverages.

Junior Cecilia Moran, who attended the event with some of her friends on Saturday, said it was her first time at Meckley’s. She said she enjoyed walking through the farm’s U-pick pumpkin patch.

“It’s nice to have access to that sort of thing away from home,” Moran said.

She said she also enjoyed the selection of food for sale, especially the tomato basil cheese curds.

“As an Italian, I appreciated their variety,” she said.

Brittany Phillips of Blackman brought her two sons and their friend to Meckley’s on Saturday. She said it was her second visit to the farm in just two weeks.

“We walked around to get the pumpkins and pastries, and now we are going to go through the corn maze,” Phillips said.

She said she especially liked the cannolis and apple cider donuts that Meckley’s offers.

“You can tell they are made with love, and are not processed,” she said.

Phillips said she recommends the farm for an outing.

“It is a nice place and experience,” she said. “This is a decent place to bring your friends, family and kids.”