It’s time to start cel­e­brating Christmas. Courtesy | Pixy.org

As soon as the clock strikes 12 on Nov. 1, stores around the world replace candy corn with candy canes, cos­tumes with Christmas trees, and boring pop songs with the beau­tiful crooning of Michael Bublé’s “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas.” 

While the coming of Christmas brings joy and hap­piness to many, it also has the ill effect of turning your closest friends into Ebenezer Scrooge. All of a sudden, they squelch your joy with annoying argu­ments about the the­o­logical reper­cus­sions of lis­tening to the wonders of Christmas too early. But don’t let “bah, humbug” be the last word I say we don’t listen to Christmas music early enough.

Christmas is a time to cel­e­brate the incar­nation of Christ made man­ifest to the world through his birth. This holy occasion is a cause for joyful, and serious, prepa­ration. Many churches com­mem­orate the litur­gical season of Advent for the purpose of preparing you for the coming of Christ, as both the baby in the manger and as the tri­umphant king at the end of times. But if you believe that the Church is respon­sible for the entirety of your prepa­ration for these sacred events, you will be dan­ger­ously ill pre­pared for both.

Imagine a close friend is pregnant. There is nothing wrong with looking for baby clothes, diapers, and strollers months before the baby is born. In fact, it is expected that you do. Early prepa­ration is appro­priate. It increases your excitement and your seri­ousness about wel­coming the child into the world. 

Christmas music is similar. It pre­pares us for Christmas by reminding us of the birth of Jesus and filling us with the joy that only his nativity can bring. Even secular Christmas music can be an aid to your prepa­ration for the holiday. Christ’s coming sanc­tified the world and secular Christmas music is no exception. It is impos­sible to listen to the most secular of Christmas songs, like “All I Want for Christmas is You,” and not think of the holy season. While the music can be con­sumeristic, Christmas con­sumerism exists as an expression of the Christmas spirit. Just because the message does not explicitly revolve around Christ does not mean it can’t aid you in your preparation.

Remember, Mary herself was preparing for Jesus for nine months. Join the Queen of Heaven in antic­i­pating her son’s birth and listen to Christmas music early.