Henry V comes to the stage next week, new interpretation of play

Home Culture Henry V comes to the stage next week, new interpretation of play
The Tower Players perform “Henry V,” directed by Christopher Matsos.

Next week, the Tower Players Production will bring “Henry V” to the stage. The show will run from Nov. 10 to Nov. 13 at 7:30 p.m., and on Nov. 14 at 2 p.m.

Every two years the theatre department produces a Shakespearean play, and this year’s chosen play was “Henry V.” Directed by assistant professor of theatre Christopher Matsos, “Henry V” combines two versions of the classic history and incorporates modern and medieval aspects into the play.

Matsos explained that the department has never done a history production and he wanted to do something different this year. “Henry V,” one of Matsos’ favorite plays, will be a great opportunity to try something new, he said.

“This is an entirely different interpretation of the play,” Matsos said. “No one has ever done this play like this before and no one has staged Shakespeare in quite this way before at the college. I’m most excited for people to see what we’ve come up with.”

The play is full of theatrical surprises, and includes fight scenes choreographed by Hillsdale alumna Caitlyn Grace ’12 who went on to do film, movies, and stunt shows around the world.

“She has spent many, many, many hours with the cast now, teaching them how to do this stuff, and we have real medieval weapons,” Matsos said.

Freshman, Kenda Showalter, an assistant stage manager, said she is very excited for the play and is enjoying working on the production.

“The fight choreo is so good because there is so much going on at one time and it’s just really exciting to watch,” Showalter said. “And the director’s concept, how he approached the show, is really unique.”

She also described how the play focuses on how Henry changes and adapts throughout his reign and is excited to see how the audience reacts to this change.

Ticket reservations are free, but required to see the play.