Freshman Elisabeth Hansch holds a pumpkin. Courtesy | Elisabeth Hansch
Freshman Elis­abeth Hansch holds a pumpkin.
Courtesy | Elis­abeth Hansch

Hillsdale College attracts stu­dents from all around the country, and some stu­dents have never expe­ri­enced weather in the Midwest. Specif­i­cally, the fall is unknown ter­ritory for stu­dents from states like Cal­i­fornia, Arizona, and Nevada. These stu­dents may have never expe­ri­enced the leaves changing color or the breezy season that some people in the Midwest love dearly. 

Mid­west­erners are familiar with the beauty and tra­di­tions of fall. However, for those coming from out of state, this change can be dras­ti­cally dif­ferent from what they had imagined. Coming from a hot climate to a cooler and muddier envi­ronment comes as a shock to some. 

Freshman Sami Mandel, who is from Las Vegas, Nevada, said that the average tem­per­ature in Las Vegas is about 80 degrees, and the weather is windy but dry. 

“To be honest, I was expecting sweater weather by now, but this tem­per­ature reminds me of home. Except here, it rains, which is def­i­nitely a change,” Mandel said.

Mandel said she loves fall dec­o­ra­tions, pumpkin spice lattes, and has enjoyed the leaves changing color around campus. But she is not a fan of getting stuck in the rain, she said, nor the unpre­dictability of the weather com­pared to back home. 

“My neigh­borhood had many pine trees that would shed its needles during the fall time. Jumping into a pile of pine needles is def­i­nitely not as fun as jumping into a pile of leaves,” Mandel said. “Not that I would know from experience.” 

Mandel also said she’s looking forward to con­sistent sweater weather. 

“Bring it on, Michigan,” she said.

Max Kinney, a freshman from Deer County, Arizona, explained that the weather in Hillsdale is very dif­ferent from Arizona weather. 

The average high tem­per­ature in Arizona during this time of year would be in the low 100s and the low would be in the 60s, Kinney said. “I like Michigan weather so far. I mean, it’s a little humid for my liking.”

He also said that he’s excited for the leaves to change color, some­thing he’s never expe­ri­enced in Arizona. Com­pared to the rain and mud in Michigan, Arizona is very dry and gets little rain. He said he prefers Arizona weather to Michigan’s. 

“I like that it’s easy to predict. Here it’s like, ‘Oh it’s raining today, I had no idea,’” Kinney said.

A popular thing to do during the fall in Arizona is to go to the state fair and get ready for Hal­loween. They don’t have fresh apple cider or pumpkin patches, he said, but most people dec­orate with a lot of arti­ficial leaves and décor. 

Freshman Elis­abeth Hansch is from Mon­terey, Cal­i­fornia, and said fall is most likely the nicest time of year there, with the tem­per­ature usually in the mid-60s and 70s. The leaves don’t change color, so there isn’t a visible change between the seasons. 

“The sun’s always out; it’s nice. There’s no rain,” Hansch said. 

She said that while there’s more rain in Hillsdale, it’s not as cold as she thought it would be. 

“The leaves are pretty though,” Hansch said. That was one of the things I was excited about. There’s a fall-like feeling in the air. Almost like a smell. It’s more crisp.” 

Hansch added that she likes the aes­thetic of fall, but the rain is a bit of a downside. However, she said she likes the current weather just as much as the weather in Cal­i­fornia this time of year. 

Hansch said she is nervous for winter but excited to witness the change between seasons and the overall fall aes­thetic of apple cider and pumpkin patches with leaves. 

The dif­fer­ences between states with fall and without vary in tem­per­ature, exterior look, or even the cool crisp air. At Hillsdale, stu­dents from all around the United States get to expe­rience the change of season and the tra­di­tions Mid­west­erners enjoy the most. Things like picking pumpkins and apples, drinking hot apple cider, having bon­fires, and hayrides are all fun fall expe­ri­ences that some stu­dents may have never taken part in and finally can.