Lenin: Russian leader of com­munism in its early stages 
| Wiki­media Commons

A former Mace­donian par­liament member urged Hillsdale stu­dents to remember the real­ities of com­munism at lec­tures hosted by the Pol­itics department and the President’s Office on Nov. 11 and 12. 

Vladimir Gjorcev served five con­sec­utive terms in the Mace­donian Par­liament between 2006 and 2020. In his 2008 election, he won with the largest vote margin in Macedonia’s history. He now works with con­ser­v­ative political parties across Europe. 

In the first of two lec­tures, Gjorcev shared the history of Europe from 1989 to the present through his per­sonal expe­rience growing up under a Com­munist government. 

The Republic of Mace­donia existed from 1991 – 2019 after the col­lapse of the League of Com­mu­nists and Yugoslav Fed­er­ation. In June of 2018, Greece and Mace­donia announced the Prespa Agreement, which changed the Republic of Macedonia’s name to the Republic of North Mace­donia after Macedonia’s con­sti­tution was amended. North Mace­donia was offi­cially created on Feb­ruary 19, 2019. In March 2020, North Mace­donia joined NATO, but Bul­garia pre­vented its admission to the European Union. 

Gjorcev told stu­dents to remember com­munism is not “a couple of good lines and free stuff” like stu­dents in developed democ­racies often believe, Gjorcev said. 

Gjorcev urged stu­dents to keep humor alive as a way to protect freedom. 

“Humor is healthy and takes some intel­li­gence for good humor,” Gjorcev said. 

Vibrant humor became a state of mind for the people living under humorless com­munism, he said. It pushes back on gov­ern­mental policies and ful­fills the human need to laugh. 

Junior Andrew Davidson said Gjorcev pro­vided insights on the “state of America from a foreign perspective.”

“He had fas­ci­nating things to say about domestic American pol­itics and knows a lot about them because his wife’s a Hillsdale graduate,” Davidson said.

In Gjorcev’s second lecture, he dis­cussed the current and future state of the European Union and its effects on European countries. 

Freshman Kara Miller said she was inter­ested in Gjorcev’s point about watching European trends return to modern global conflict. 

“I liked how he said the Second Cold War is now focused on Asia and the Pacific, while pre­vious wars were fought mainly in Europe,” she said.