The Hillsdale College Chargers routed the Ken­tucky Wes­leyan College Pan­thers 31 – 12, bringing them to a 5 – 5 record on the year and a 4 – 2 record in the con­ference with one regular season game remaining. 

The Chargers are tied with their next opponent, Ohio Dominican Uni­versity, for third place in the con­ference, trailing first place con­tenders Tiffin and Findlay. 

Defense led the way for the Chargers on Sat­urday, gen­er­ating four inter­cep­tions, three sacks, and two fumble recov­eries. Junior defensive back Zach Herzog, who racked up 11 tackles in addition to an inter­ception, a fumble recovery, and a sack, and was rec­og­nized as the G‑MAC’s Defensive Player of the Week. 

Senior wide receiver Alec Foos, who fin­ished the game with two total touch­downs, attributed much of the offense’s success to the defense. 

“I think a big thing with our offense was how our defense played,” said Foos. “They put us in a good spot to cap­i­talize on some points and we made some plays.” 

Hillsdale’s first score of the day came by way of a three-yard touchdown run by Foos, fol­lowing an inter­ception by senior defensive lineman Joe Royer. Foos was respon­sible for the Chargers’s next score as well, this time on a 15-yard pass from sophomore quar­terback Garritt Aissen. 

The Panthers’s only points of the half came on a touchdown fol­lowed by a blocked extra point with 5:33 left in the second quarter, making the score 14 – 6. After a dropped punt by the Pan­thers recovered by sophomore line­backer Zach Urda, Aissen threw one more touchdown pass to con­clude the half, this one to sophomore tight end Michael Harding, making the first-half score 21 – 6 Chargers. 

Junior defensive lineman Kendall Tobin, who fin­ished the game with 4 tackles and a sack, com­mented on the team’s effort to start fast against the Panthers. 

“We knew that if we played like we could for a full four quarters, there isn’t a team in the division that we can’t at least hang with,” said Tobin. “We wanted to come out fast and furious with our hair on fire, and I think we did a pretty good job of that.” 

After a 60-yard kickoff return, sophomore running back Jack Robinson ran for a 1‑yard touchdown to give the Chargers their fourth score of the day and first of the second half. The next score arrived with 7:47 left in the fourth quarter, on a field goal by red­shirt freshman Julian Lee fol­lowing another dropped Panther punt recovered by Herzog. 

From there, the Pan­thers put together one final scoring drive in the fourth quarter, making the final score 31 – 12. 

The Chargers’s final scheduled game of the season will be played at home this Sat­urday at 1 p.m. against division rivals Ohio Dominican Uni­versity. Urda com­mented on the team’s desire to send off the seniors well. 

“I want to get those guys out with a win,” said Urda. “They’ve taught me so much and they gave me so much con­fi­dence going into the season.” 

Head Coach Keith Otterbein spoke on his men­tality heading into his final game of the season. 

“You want to play well, you want to end up with a winning record and all that stuff,” said Otterbein. “But it’s not a make or break, live or die game. We just want to go out because there’s an oppor­tunity to go play a game and that’s our job, is to go win football games.”