James Lauve and Emily Griffith enjoy the new Dairy Queen. Grace Umland | Collegian
James Lauve and Emily Griffith enjoy the new Dairy Queen. Grace Umland | Collegian

Hillsdale res­i­dents have access to a new, year-round ice cream shop with the opening of the new Grill & Chill Dairy Queen.

The new location, which opened on Hal­loween, is at 3285 W. Car­leton Road. The restaurant carries all the Dairy Queen classics: bliz­zards, ice cream cakes, cheese­burgers, chicken strips, and even limited edition frozen hot chocolate. 

Juniors Cate Kelley and Emma Cruga attended the grand opening together and said they were excited to dine at the restaurant.

“We went because it’s an exciting new ice cream and food option. It was very busy but the service was good,” Kelley said. “We got twist cones with sprinkles — those were great.”

Todd Haidous owns the store, which is his third Dairy Queen location in Michigan.

“I’ve always admired the Dairy Queen brand for its timeless com­munity appeal, deli­cious food, and family-cen­tered business model that con­tinues to draw in people of all ages year-round,” Haidous said. “Fol­lowing the incredible response of our other Michigan loca­tions in Dearborn and Cold­water, we’re honored to be growing alongside DQ and can’t wait to open our doors in Hillsdale.”

As a pro­mo­tional giveaway, the restaurant gave free candy to all guests to cel­e­brate its grand opening along with the holiday. The opening attracted lines of people, including many college students.

Kelley said the owner greeted the pair when they walked in, talked to them, and wel­comed them to the restaurant, which she said created a dif­ferent atmos­phere than other fast-food places in Hillsdale.

“I will def­i­nitely be going back,” she said. “This time, to get a Blizzard.”

The Udder Side, a well-known family ice cream restaurant in Jonesville, closed for the winter last week. The new Dairy Queen is now one of the area’s only spe­cialized ice cream restau­rants open year-round. 

Like the location in Cold­water, every item in the Hillsdale restaurant’s “Take DQ Home” case is dis­counted by 50% on Tuesdays. The case holds ice cream bars, cakes, ice cream cones, and pies.

Senior Nathan Breuhan cel­e­brated his 22nd birthday on Sunday. When his friends sur­prised him with an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen, he was ecstatic. 

“It was a vanilla, Oreo, and chocolate cake. It made me feel like I was back at home,” Breuhan said. “It was an honor to support my com­munity and have my com­munity support me on such a special day.”

The modern restaurant fea­tures 14 tables inside and seven tables outside, a state-of-the art bev­erage dis­penser, and a mobile order option. Guests can submit a mobile order through the Dairy Queen mobile app. 

Hillsdale’s Dairy Queen restaurant is open 10 a.m. — 10 p.m. daily.