COVID number remain low | Flickr

One student is in 10-day iso­lation as of Monday after testing pos­itive for the COVID-19 virus. Since the beginning of the semester, 98 stu­dents have tested pos­itive and 97 have recovered.

Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of Biology Jeffrey L. Van Zant said the pro­jected number of COVID-19 deaths in America by Dec. 1 is “750,000 and increasing.” 

“We should not forget that,” he said. 

COVID-19 cases in Michigan fell 11% and cases in Hillsdale County dropped more than 6% last week. The county reported 183 cases and four deaths last week, according to the Branch-Hillsdale-St. Joseph Com­munity Health Agency.

About 38% of Hillsdale County res­i­dents are vac­ci­nated and 35% have received a second booster shot. As of Nov. 3, the rate of Amer­icans who have received at least one dose of the vaccine is 66.9%, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Pre­vention. Slightly over 50% of Michigan’s pop­u­lation, or 5,337,811 people, have been vaccinated. 

The Hillsdale-St. Joseph Health Agency will hold a vac­ci­nation clinic at Hillsdale High School on Tuesday, Nov. 16 from 1 p.m to 6:30 p.m.

To be eli­gible for the free vaccine, res­i­dents must be 18 or older, have an under­lying medical con­dition, or live in a care facility or a high-risk setting.

Hillsdale College faculty and stu­dents are not required to take the vaccine.