Hillsdale College sym­phony orchestra at Christ Chapel on October 9, 2021.

The Hillsdale College sym­phony orchestra will hold its winter per­for­mance on Nov. 20 and 21 in Christ Chapel, fea­turing faculty soloists Brad Blackham and Emily Douglass.

Blackham, an artist-teacher of piano and director of key­board studies for the college, will be per­forming Ravel’s “Piano Con­certo in D Major (for the Left Hand.)”

“It was com­mis­sioned by a pianist who either lost his right hand or had his right hand severely damaged in World War I,” Blackham said. “The pianist, Paul Wittgen­stein, com­mis­sioned a number of such pieces. He actually wasn’t a big fan of any of them.”

However, Blackham said it is one of his favorite pieces, in spite of its difficulty.

Dou­glass, an artist/teacher of music-voice and the vocal area head for the college, will be per­forming arias by Mozart and Dvorak.

“Come scoglio” is an aria from Mozart’s Italian opera “Cosi fan tutte,” according to the program notes. In the aria, Fiordiligi declares her loyalty to her lover when he and her friend’s lover attempt to woo the women in disguise.

“Song to the Moon” is an aria from Dvorak’s Czech opera “Rusalka.” The opera follows a plotline similar to “The Little Mermaid,” Dou­glass said. This aria is the water nymph’s plea to the moon to com­mu­nicate to her lover that she loves him.

“I’m excited to share those stories with the audience,” Dou­glass said.

The sym­phony orchestra will be accom­pa­nying the soloists and also per­forming “Sibelius Fin­landia” and Respighi’s “Foun­tains of Rome.”

Tickets are free, but must be reserved by calling 517 – 607-2848 or emailing [email protected]