Chargers ready to ‘surprise people’ in upcoming season

Home Charger Women's Basketball Chargers ready to ‘surprise people’ in upcoming season

After only playing conference games last year, the Hillsdale College women’s basketball team is preparing to take its longest trip in a decade.

Due to COVID-19, the Chargers only played 21 games last year, all of them in the G-MAC. 

Heading into his second year in the position, Head Coach Charlie Averkamp says he is excited for another year with the team. 

“We have an experienced group of returners to combine with a talented group of newcomers,” Averkamp said. “Anytime you take over a program it always takes some time to establish our culture and ways of doing things. Returning a good core group allows us to continue to build off what we did last year.”

The Chargers return four out of their five starters from last season, losing only three-year starter Jaycie Burger..

“Jaycie was the best senior I could ask for,” Averkamp said. “She was a team first player and someone that her teammates spoke volumes about how she helped them and was a leader on and off the court.”

One of the returning players, Junior Sydney Mills, earned second team All-G-MAC honors during her sophomore campaign. She averaged 14.8 points and 10.4 rebounds as the only player in the G-MAC to average a double-double. She ended the season with eight double-doubles in only 21 games. 

“Sydney really had a breakout season last year for us,” Averkamp said. “She is an inside-out player that can be a tough matchup for opponents. She is one of the top rebounders in the Midwest with her relentless motor.”

Mills said a lot of her success last year came from entering her second year and being more confident. 

“My coaches and teammates really believed in me and pushed me to be better each day,” Mills said. “I couldn’t have had the numbers I did without them.”

Mills started last season with a 21-rebound effort, and followed that up with a 34 point, 13 rebound night in February. 

“This year I hope to improve on those numbers, but more importantly grow as a leader and with the help of the other two captains on our team, Maverick Delp and Grace Touchette, I hope that us three can string together some wins while leading the talented group of younger girls we’ve brought in this year,” Mills said. 

Touchette, one of three seniors on the team, says the basketball program has grown her confidence and her ability to be adaptable. 

“There are changes in life all the time and basketball is the same way,” Touchette said. “Basketball has also helped me with my time management because of how much school we miss and the smaller amount of free time that we have compared to other students.”

Touchette said she has a few goals for this season.

“One of my goals this year is to be a better defender and communicator for my teammates,” Touchette said. “Another focus for me is to help rebound since our team is undersized this year.”

While the Chargers only graduated Burger, they recruited six new women to their team, including two transfers. 

“There is still a learning curve we are adjusting to,” Mills said. “When there are so many newcomers that have potential to play good minutes for us it’s always gonna be hard right off the bat, but our team has done a great job working together to look more seamless.” 

With the Chargers able to play non-conference games, they will be trekking to Alaska next week to play two games against Alaska Anchorage and Alaska Fairbanks. 

“I’m looking forward to heading to Alaska with the team,” Averkamp said. “It presents a great opportunity to play two very talented teams as well as continue to come together and bond before we start our conference season.”

The trip to Alaska is the longest road trip that the program has taken in a decade, when Hillsdale went to Hawaii in 2011. 

“In addition to playing we will take in all the sights of Anchorage and the surrounding areas,” said Averkamp. “The team is looking forward to all the picturesque photo opportunities.” 

Despite the Chargers’ experience, the G-MAC Women’s Basketball Preseason Coaches Poll picked them to finish 11th in the conference. Touchette, however, said she sees a bright side to this ranking. 

“The thing I’m most excited about this year is that we can surprise people,” Touchette said. “We are ranked 11th in the preseason poll, but you can already see how much potential we have from the hard workers we have on this team.”

Averkamp outlined his expectations for this team.

“You will see on the floor this year a group that will compete until the final whistle,” Averkamp said. “We talk about controlling what you can control and we can control our intensity and our effort.”

Mills said a successful season includes getting into the conference tournament. 

“We have the potential to surprise a lot of people in our league and we are very excited to get going this week,” Mills said.