The swim team won their tri-meet against Uni­versity of Findlay and Lewis Uni­versity this past Sat­urday, beating Findlay 144 – 77 and Lewis 159 – 46.

Head Coach Kirt Kirner said he was pleased with how the team per­formed against their rival Findlay

“I was really con­cerned because the week before they had swam some really fast times,” Kirner said. “Come to find out, they were pretty rested and they had cham­pi­onship racing suits on.”

After racing hard at their meet the week before, Findlay was not able to keep up with Hillsdale on Saturday.

“We came to race. It’s really a mindset that we try to build into the ath­letes from very early in the season,” Kirner said. “No matter what the sit­u­ation, our kids are just in that men­tality the whole way through.”

The Chargers earned a close second place in the opening event, the 200 yard medley relay, with a time of 1:51.20. This was nearly two seconds faster than the A team’s time a week prior. The B and C teams came fourth and sixth with 1:51.71 and 2:00.65 respectively.

“I was pretty sure we weren’t going to win that first relay with how fast Findlay’s relay had gone before, but we were actually really close to winning it,” Kirner said. “I was very impressed with our A and B relays.”

Hillsdale came first, second, fifth, and seventh in the 1000 yard free. Freshman Elise Mason topped the event with a time of 10:51.69 which was 13 seconds faster than the second place finisher.

In the 200 yard freestyle, junior Leah Tunney just out-touched Findlay for first, fin­ishing 1:57.03 and 1:57.08 respec­tively. Hillsdale went first, third, fourth, and sixth in the 200 yard I.M. with freshman Joanna Burnham in first (2:12.08), sophomore Cecilia Guadalupi in third (2:13.64), freshman Megan Clifford in fourth (2:15.68), and sophomore Amy Mills in sixth (2:19.10).

Junior Marie Taylor took home a solid win in the 100 yard freestyle with a 52.97, over a second and a half faster than the second place fin­isher. Guadalupi and sophomore Sarah Patan­iczek went fifth (54.83) and sixth (57.06) and junior Anika Fassett came in tenth (58.06).

Tunney, Mason, and junior Sarah Clark came first, second, and fourth in the 500 yard freestyle with times of 5:14.54, 5:18.09, and 5:26.99 respectively.

The Chargers ended the meet with a com­manding win in the 200 yard freestyle relay with a 1:39.34. Lewis came in second with a 1:46.17.

The team will depart from Hillsdale this Friday, Nov. 19 for an invi­ta­tional meet at Dav­enport Uni­versity lasting until Sunday, Nov. 21.

“Our team is looking good going into Dav­enport and I’m super excited to see what myself and everyone else can do with a little bit of rest behind us,” Senior Becca Briskey said.

Kirner said he’s looking forward to seeing his team race this weekend.

“It’s going to be a good chal­lenge for us. The idea is to really work our race plan all the way through the race,” Kirner said.

The swimmers said they feel pre­pared for the invitational.

“It’s all about trusting your coaches,” Mason said. “He has a plan for how to taper and how he wants us to rest.”