Chair­woman of Art Barbara Bushey’s textile exhibit is on display until March 27. Col­legian | Brooke Conrad

On Oct. 15, the Daughtrey Art Gallery will open a water-themed exhibit fea­turing works from pho­tog­rapher Becky Kagan Schott and Chair­woman and Pro­fessor of Art Barbara Bushey.

“This is going to be part of our pro­fes­sional artist series, so there’s no student artwork,” said Gallery Director and Assistant Pro­fessor of Art Roxanne Kaufman. “It’s going to have a series of ship­wreck pho­tog­raphy done by Becky Kagan Schott, specif­i­cally the ship­wrecks of the great lakes.”

Schott, a five time Emmy-award winning under­water cam­er­a­woman, has been diving for 23 years. Pre­vi­ously, she has done work for the Dis­covery Channel, National Geo­graphic, Animal Planet, and the Travel Channel. 

Despite having trav­elled all around the world, Schott’s favorite place to shoot is in Michigan.

“The ship­wrecks in the Great Lakes are some of the most pre­served in the world, it’s like diving into a time capsule or an under­water museum,” Schott said. “ I also like the stories of these wrecks; some are stories of mystery, some of tragedy, some of sur­vival. When you hear how a ship went down, and you see it in front of you, it’s haunting.”

The exhibit will also feature pieces by Bushey.