US Army hosts warrior challenge for students

Home News US Army hosts warrior challenge for students
Students compete in obstacle course this weekend at Hayden Park
Courtesy | Bill Lundberg

The United States Army will challenge the Hillsdale student body to test its physical limits at the Hillsdale All American Warrior Challenge this Sunday, Oct. 17, in Hayden Park. 

Teams of four will race against the clock and complete a wide variety of physically demanding activities in hopes of winning a steak dinner. 

The Man Up series—an initiative from the dean’s office—will sponsor the competition, according to Associate Dean of Men Jeffery “Chief” Rogers. 

The teams will compete in a series of challenges, including mud crawl, rock climbing wall, tire flip, sled drag, team log carry, hay climb, bucket carry, and pull-ups.  

Competitors will be scored according to the fastest times, and the top three fastest teams will receive ribbons, Rogers said. There will also be awards for best dressed team, best team motto, and dirtiest team. 

Rogers said about 40 people have signed up so far, with more expected to join. He will be leading a team of faculty members in the competition, he said. 

Rogers said he hopes to encourage some friendly rivalry among the teams and foster competition.

“We threw the gauntlet down to the guys,” he said. “What better way to do that than a steak dinner?”

Sophomore Tomek Ignatik said the event is an excellent opportunity for students here at the college. 

“Here at Hillsdale, we measure ourselves academically all the time, but we don’t do it physically enough, and I think this is a great opportunity for students to be able to do that,” he said.

Freshman Garrett Goolsby said he thinks the event will be a beneficial challenge for men at the college.

“I think it will provide a great opportunity for men to get out there and be men,” Goolsby said.  

Rogers said he hopes students will take advantage of this opportunity to test themselves against a physically demanding course and develop more active daily routines. 

“I think every man and woman wants to be a warrior at heart,” Rogers said. “That is what the spirit of it is: being an American warrior.”