Facebook whistle­blower | Pixabay

The whistle­blowers are running out of breath. 

Frances Haugen, Facebook’s newest big tech robot gone rogue, gained national recog­nition last week for saying what we already know. After the Wall Street Journal pub­lished a project titled “The Facebook Files,” Haugen revealed that she was the source of secret doc­u­ments used in the inves­tigative project. 

Although her actions are bold, as a Gen­er­ation Z kid, it is dif­ficult to listen to her claims and not roll my eyes. 

Instagram is dam­aging to young girls? Social elites get away with evading rules? Tell me some­thing I don’t know.

If you grew up on the internet, you’re no stranger to its dark side. 

Although I feel thankful that I escaped the claws of the TikTok vacuum, I can easily say that social media has a dam­aging effect on me and nearly everyone I know. 

We’ve all seen meme accounts go sour and jeop­ardize stu­dents’ safety, anonymous posting apps that ruth­lessly bully kids, and even police inter­vention due to child pornog­raphy cases with Snapchat. 

Young people live in a dif­ferent world than the one their parents grew up in, which is why the hul­la­baloo around Haugen’s coura­geous whistle­blowing is exhausting.

Cor­porate media is praising Haugen for her efforts to reform Facebook, an endeavor that at this point seems impossible. 

Time and time again, the company has proven that it values its growth over per­sonal privacy, political integrity, or the sanctity of democracy. But what else can we expect from a company whose platform began as a way for college guys to rate girls? Are we sur­prised that a company whose lifeblood is impulsive reac­tions does not have our best interest at heart?

Although I’d like to present the option of elim­i­nating social media as a whole, it’s impos­sible. I enjoy social media and, when it is used properly, it can be every bit as good as it is bad. We are past the point of being able to exist without some par­tic­i­pation in tech­nology. Facebook needs to be held accountable for the ways in which they’ve allowed their platform to be weaponized. 

Haugen’s stolen doc­u­ments revealed that the company has been well aware of its neg­ative effects and has done little to alter its algo­rithm for good. We’ve seen what this free-for-all version of the internet looks like and, if there is no mod­erate and unbiased inter­vention soon, we’ll con­tinue to see all of society harmed by it.

Many have crit­i­cized Haugen’s belief that she can save the company from mis­in­for­mation. This is the tip of a massive iceberg of many other more serious issues.

Facebook knows that thou­sands of pages on its site are used for every­thing from sex traf­ficking and running drug cartels to organ selling and pornog­raphy, and yet the focus is on idol­izing or ridi­culing Haugen. It seems as though Big Tech is once again in hot seat. Whether or not any­thing will happen is another story.