The Hillsdale women’s tennis team only have one weekend left in the fall season
Courtesy | Hillsdale College Ath­letic Department

On Sat­urday, October 16th, the Hillsdale Chargers women’s tennis team traveled to play at Dav­enport where they fin­ished off the fall season with a 7 – 0 sweep.

Head Coach Nicole Wal­bright expressed her sat­is­faction with the team’s per­for­mance over the weekend as players were able to execute things that they had been working on throughout the duration of the fall season. 

“Sat­urday was the perfect finish to our fall season,” Wal­bright said. “The entire team showed up ready to play and everyone per­formed perfectly.”

In doubles, Chargers Senior Sarah Hackman teamed up with freshman Libby McGivern to defeat Willemien Coetzee and Kumiko Yam­aguchi of Dav­enport 6 – 3.

“We knew it was our last match of the fall season going in and we wanted to end it on a good note, so it was nice that we accom­plished that.” Hackman said.

Hackman wrapped up this season winning G‑MAC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week after going undefeated. 

Fol­lowing this, Hillsdale’s Canela Luna and Sophia Spinazze tri­umphed over Davenport’s Louise Hosking and Danica Malan in a 6 – 1 victory before Chargers Ellie Chawner and Julia Wagner fin­ished off doubles for the day with a 6 – 0 win over Sophie Jackson and Kailyn Skogmo.

“Doubles went really well, they were strong matches but each pair exe­cuted every­thing we have worked on this Fall and I was really happy with their per­for­mances.” Wal­bright said

Hackman then led the Chargers with a 6 – 3, 6 – 0 victory against Willemien Coetzee in the No. 1 singles match.

The rest of the singles players for the Chargers fol­lowed suit as Canela Luna defeated Yam­aguchi 6 – 4, 7 – 5, McGivern defeated Danica Malan 6 – 1, 6 – 4, Spinazze defeated Jackson 6 – 1, 6 – 1, Helana For­mentiz defeated Hosking 6 – 2, 6 – 2, and Chawner defeated Skogmo 6 – 0, 6 – 1.

For­mentin, a sophomore, noted that the suc­cessful day pro­vided a con­fi­dence booster for the Chargers moving into the offseason.

“I think we’re really going to take the energy from these matches into our off­season getting pre­pared,” For­mentin said.

Overall the fall season was a success for the chargers as they were able to work on their level of com­pe­tition moving toward the off­season and even­tually the spring season. 

“I think the fall helped prepare us for the spring and made us closer as a team,” Hackman said. “We had some really good team bonding that hap­pened as well which was good.”

For­mentin com­mented that the team will be working hard moving toward the spring season in order to be best pre­pared for the competition.

“We’ll set up policies and hours on the court, but we’re still con­di­tioning and fully prac­ticing,” For­mentin said. “Then after Christmas, we’ll come back and train for a week before beginning the spring season.”