The Hillsdale College Inter­na­tional Club plans to host a variety of events to introduce campus to worldwide cul­tures and tra­di­tions.
Courtesy | Nour Ben

Inter­na­tional Club hopes to raise at least $300 for a Liberian charity by hosting a feast on Thursday, Oct. 14 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Old Snack Bar. 

“Just like the Inter­na­tional Club’s mission, this event aims to connect domestic and inter­na­tional stu­dents with each other as they share culture,” said Christina Homer, the event’s coor­di­nator for the Inter­na­tional Club.

Pro­ceeds will go to Liberia Renewal Min­istries, which provide basic needs like food, water, shelter, and edu­cation for the fam­ilies in Liberia, according to Homer.

“Liberia went through a civil war during the early 2000s, so the min­istry helps fam­ilies through pro­viding edu­cation, food, shelter, support for women and girls, and youth evan­gelism,” Homer explained. “They run a school from nursery to 7th grade with 56 stu­dents, 32 of whom are boarding stu­dents. It costs $1.30 for each student’s daily supply of food, edu­cation, and shelter.”

The event is modeled after the Inter­na­tional Club’s Kenyan dinner in 2018. 

“We served Kenyan food and all the pro­ceeds went to a high school in Kenya under the Tujelimu Charity, which was started by two Hillsdale alumnae, Rose Okeyo and Samantha Gobba,” Homer said. “We planned the Inter­na­tional Feast with the same thing in mind, but we wanted to serve a variety of food this time.” 

Dishes at this year’s event will include curry and rice, chow mein, schnitzel, chicken soup, and mochi red bean cake among many others.

Inter­na­tional Club member and junior Alex Schnell says he is making 50 Polish pierogies, using sea­soned ground pork.

“It’s a family recipe,” Schnell said. “I think it will be a great break from the food in the dining hall.”

Homer said those inter­ested in attending should email her at [email protected] The Inter­na­tional Club also hopes to hold smaller events throughout the semester such as movie nights or weekly club lunches in the Knorr Family Dining Hall. 

“We are always open to sup­porting inter­na­tional min­istries,” Homer said.