EPLA Secretary Maria Servold and President Emily Carrington at a pregnancy and infant loss conference in 2018.
EPLA Sec­retary Maria Servold and Pres­ident Emily Car­rington at a preg­nancy and infant loss con­ference in 2018.

A non­profit group ded­i­cated to helping fam­ilies cope with mis­car­riage will cel­e­brate its fifth anniversary at a gala on Oct. 23.

The Early Preg­nancy Loss Asso­ci­ation, which was founded in Hillsdale, helps grieving mothers and fam­ilies by pro­viding infor­ma­tional and material resources after they expe­rience miscarriage.

Hillsdale College Vice Pres­ident and General Counsel Bob Norton and his wife, Kathy, will host the gala at their home in Jonesville at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $45, and cover the cost of a drink ticket, hot hors d’ouvres, and live music. Pro­ceeds will go to the general EPLA fund.

“We’ll have oppor­tu­nities for people to give throughout the evening, either through Venmo or people making dona­tions in person,” said EPLA Pres­ident Emily Car­rington. “One of the biggest ser­vices we provide are mis­car­riage care kits, and we’ll be launching a new form of donation for that at the gala. People can donate money in honor of a person they know who’s lost a little one, and there will be a note about that in each kit.”

The orga­ni­zation also edu­cates members of the com­munity about the com­pli­ca­tions of early preg­nancy loss.

“We provide edu­ca­tional resources to women, fam­ilies, and healthcare providers,” Car­rington said. “We’re parents’ advo­cates and we want to give them a voice with the medical pro­fes­sionals regarding what they need and the support they’re looking for.”

The event is the result of hard work from several members of the Hillsdale community. 

“We espe­cially want to thank Dr. Nichole Ellis at the Pedi­atric Place and Dr. Brian Sinischo at Hidden Meadows OB-GYN for their spon­sor­ships,” EPLA Board Member Maria Servold said. “We are also very grateful for the indi­vidual spon­sor­ships we received, and for the gen­erosity of Bob and Kathy Norton, who are allowing us to use their beau­tiful home for the event.”

Members of the orga­ni­zation are looking forward to showing the com­munity what their support has amounted to. 

I am most excited to show our sup­porters how much their financial and material support has helped women in need over the last five years,” Servold said. “In just the last 12 months, we’ve been able to provide more than 1,000 mis­car­riage care kits.”

The board members will also describe their work to any new­comers at the gala. 

“Our vision is that no one will suffer miss­car­riage alone, and we’ve had great help in exe­cuting that in the past five years,” Car­rington said.

The EPLA has worked with the college in the past, and stu­dents are encouraged to attend if possible.

“I think what’s really cool about EPLA is that they are a local non­profit, and there’s a lot of Hillsdale com­munity members involved,” said Sophia Berryhill, Hillsdale Mid­wifery Club pres­ident. “I know it’s a sen­sitive topic for people, but I think sup­porting them at the gala is a great way to make con­nec­tions with people who are com­mitted to sup­porting others.”

Ticket inquiries for the gala should be directed to [email protected].