Hillsdale College Catholic Society spon­sored the lecture. | Col­legian archives

Catholics and Protes­tants can find common ground, said Car­dinal Gerhard Müller at a lecture on Oct. 26.

“In this life, there is oblig­ation to an authentic fol­lowing of Christ and a life called into God’s com­mand­ments,” Müller said. “This includes not only our respon­si­bil­ities in our pro­fes­sions, fam­ilies, and society, but also our respon­si­bil­ities as fellow members of the body of Christ and the church.”

Müller is a Car­dinal in Mainz, Germany and was the prefect of the con­gre­gation for the doc­trine of faith from 2012 to 2017. He delivered a lecture entitled “Christ in Preaching and Sacrament: A Rap­prochement of Catholic and Protestant Views.” 

“It is often claimed that every dif­ference between Catholicism and Protes­tantism can be traced back to the incom­pat­i­bility between the church of sacra­ments and the church of the word,” Müller said. “There is chiefly a dif­ference in the­o­logical approach, but a dif­ference that is not insurmountable.”

His visit was coor­di­nated by the president’s office, the department of the­ology and religion, and the Catholic Society.

Stu­dents of several denom­i­na­tions attended Müller’s talk.

Junior Cecilia Moran, who is Catholic, said she enjoyed hearing him talk about the com­mon­al­ities between Catholics and Protestants.

“It’s really important to have these talks on campus because we are a non­sec­tarian school,” Moran said. “Having open and honest dis­cus­sions about how denom­i­na­tions interact with each other and just how they all incor­porate in the body of Christ is an important thing to talk about because of the diversity on campus.”

Sophomore Emma Mon­tague, who is Protestant, also said she was inter­ested in Müller’s take on denom­i­na­tional differences.

“It’s inter­esting to see that some of the stuff he’s talking about is true for both Protes­tants and Catholics,” Mon­tague said. “I enjoyed his Q&A section where he was talking about how Catholics can interact with Protes­tants and find a common point of view in prayer.”

In the con­clusion of his speech, Müller empha­sized the impor­tance of Christian love.

“Despite the accom­pa­nying imper­fec­tions, our smallest act of love, our lit­tlest acts of com­passion or respect for one another have their origin and their reality in the life of God Himself,” he said.