Learn how to cook

Home Opinion Learn how to cook
Learn how to cook
‘Joy of Cooking’ by Irma Rombauer. Collegian | Julia Mullins

Art is not my strong suit. When I hear people talk about color theory and perspective, it’s as if they’re speaking Greek. But artistic expression isn’t limited to music, painting, or sculpting, and the most enjoyable form of artistic expression is often overlooked.

Cooking has been the centerpiece of any family gathering throughout my life. Some of my fondest memories are of my extended family getting together for a barbecue or a crab boil. My parents, for as long as I can remember, have included my brother and me in their cooking, be it a small family dinner or a Thanksgiving meal. 

Only in the last few years, however, have I begun to appreciate the craft that goes into cooking. It is fundamentally different from baking, which relies on exact measurements and has often been described as a science. Cooking encourages far more spontaneity, and allows a cook to experiment and customize recipes as they wish. There are endless alterations of established recipes, and chefs consistently push the boundaries of what diners expect from a restaurant.

Cooking in college, however, can be difficult. The kitchens in dormitories, fraternities, and off-campus houses can get crowded and messy. My housemates have complained about smoke alarms going off as I sear a steak or cook a chicken breast. But for me, it’s worth it. There is no Bon Appetit after college—you have to learn how to cook for yourself. 

Your first meal doesn’t have to be a beef Wellington or some other decadent dish. Starting small and learning the basics opens up a realm of possibilities. Learn to cut vegetables and make a basic sauce, learn to properly cook different meats, and perhaps most importantly, learn where your food comes from. Buying vegetables from a farmer’s market or cuts of meat from a local farmer creates a more authentic dish and ensures that the food is free of pesticides or artificial hormones. 

There’s a deeper reason to cook: Cooking for friends or housemates gives you time to bond over a home-cooked meal. Plus, it’s a great way to impress a date—my girlfriend still claims my cooking is the only reason we started dating, nearly two years after I prepared a chicken picatta in the Simpson Residence lobby.