Kyle Mann is the editor in chief of the Babylon Bee. This interview includes ques­tions sub­mitted by Hillsdale stu­dents, and has been edited for length and clarity by Tracy Wilson.

What’s the best joke you’ve ever told?

I wrote the one during the pan­demic about celebrities spelling out ‘We’re all in this together’ with their yachts. It got shared as big news, people thought it was real. I did the one where Joe Biden cut the hole in his mask so he could sniff people’s hair.

Were you the class clown growing up?

I think I was voted class clown in my senior year of high school. I wasn’t goofing around, but I did get kicked out of class one time. I’ve always just had a good sense of humor about things. I don’t think I’m that funny, but if you’d ask my family, when I told them I was writing for this site, they were like, that makes sense, that’s totally you.

If you could add a his­torical figure to the Babylon Bee staff, who would you choose?

G.K. Chesterton or C.S. Lewis. 

How is the Babylon Bee able to predict the future?

Satirists throughout history have done that. Read Chesterton, it’s scarily accurate. Chesterton has a quote about how in the future we’ll sac­rifice babies on the altar of fem­inism. Good satire is going to take the truth, and it’s going to take it one step further.

Do the ideas come nat­u­rally, or is there a way you look at things and come up with ideas?

There’s a lot of trial and error of throwing an idea out and going, “Ah that’s ter­rible, why did I even suggest that?” Getting the bad ones out of the way gets you to the good ones. 

Where do you get your news from?

Because we know our fol­lowers are mostly con­suming our stuff through social media, that’s where they’re getting their news, is by scrolling Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. We have a couple of tools that analyze social media and pull the stories that are buzzing right now.

What’s one word you would use to describe the Babylon Bee?

Sub­version. That’s what good comedy is, is sub­version. At the end of Abo­lition of Man, C.S.Lewis talks about how the whole purpose of seeing through some­thing is to see some­thing through it. I like that we can subvert and decon­struct false ideas and false world views in order that someone can latch onto some­thing better or some­thing true.