The new system is designed to be safer and more com­fortable for patients. Courtesy | Hillsdale Hospital

Hillsdale Hos­pital is the owner of a new state-of-the-art mam­mog­raphy system that could lead to earlier cancer diagnoses. 

The new system, the Senographe Pristina 3D Mam­mog­raphy System, pro­duces sharper images of breast tissue, allowing doctors to see potential cancer masses sooner, according to Molly Craig, an R.N. at Hillsdale Hos­pital. She added that the process is easier and more com­fortable for patients. 

Craig, a diag­nostic imaging nurse nav­i­gator, said the system also allows patients to control the com­pression of their breast tissue using the system’s hand-held device.

“It’s designed to serve a wider range of patients who might have mobility chal­lenges, or maybe are shorter than someone else, because of how you can stand or sit and be posi­tioned for your mam­mogram,” said Rachel Lott, director of mar­keting and devel­opment for Hillsdale Hospital. “This machine just has a lot more vari­ability in how the mam­mogram tech can work with the patient and make them as com­fortable as pos­sible with the positioning.”

According to the system’s creator, GE Healthcare, 97% of par­tic­i­pants in a survey reported less or no anxiety about the pro­cedure. 83% of par­tic­i­pants reported that their expe­rience with the Senographe Pristina was better than with pre­vious systems.

Lott said Hillsdale Hos­pital patients’ expe­ri­ences have agreed with these data.

“The feedback we’ve received so far from the com­munity has been very pos­itive,” Lott said. “We’ve heard from several patients who have had mam­mo­grams on the new machine that it was so much more com­fortable than what they’ve expe­ri­enced before. It’s a much more com­fortable process and really just eases their mind and also gives them that addi­tional physical comfort as well with this new system.” 

The Senographe Pristina also exposes patients to fewer X‑rays than a typical 3D mam­mog­raphy system, thus reducing harm to living tissues, according to GE Healthcare.

The system delivers X‑rays at “the lowest patient dose of all FDA approved systems,” according to the company’s website. 

Lott said that even though Hillsdale is a small rural com­munity, the Hillsdale Hos­pital often pro­vides care at the highest level. She added that the hos­pital recently became one of the first in the nation to possess a thulium laser lithotripsy machine, which uses new methods for kidney stone treatment.

“We really set that standard for our­selves of having the latest and greatest,” Lott said, “because we want to bring the best care pos­sible to our com­munity and to our patients and really take care of our own.” 

According to Craig, the new tech­nology will help smaller hos­pitals like Hillsdale’s to con­tinue to provide top-notch care. 

“This was an attempt for rural hos­pitals to stay up to date, and to have the very best for our com­munity because many of our patients are family,” Craig said. “So, we want the best for our family, for our rural community.”