Fifteen stu­dents were in 10-day iso­lation as of Monday after testing pos­itive for the COVID-19 virus. Since the start of the semester, 78 stu­dents have tested pos­itive and 63 of them have recovered. 

“Stu­dents are iso­lating 10 days from the onset of symptoms and may return to class on the eleventh day, pro­vided they have been cleared by Health Ser­vices,” Asso­ciate Dean of Men Jeffrey Rogers said.

Stu­dents with COVID-19-like symptoms such as fever, cough, and loss of taste and smell, should visit the Health and Wellness Center, Rogers said. They can take a free rapid COVID-19 test that will deliver a pos­itive or neg­ative result within minutes. 

Stu­dents who test pos­itive receive a letter with instruc­tions to isolate at a des­ig­nated quar­antine location such as Park Place or the Michindoh Con­ference Center.

When a student tests pos­itive for the virus, the deans’ office notifies pro­fessors of missed class time, Rogers said. 

In addition to its normal Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekday hours, the Health and Wellness Center  added extra testing oppor­tu­nities from 1 — 3 p.m. on Sat­urday and Sunday.

Hillsdale Health and Wellness, located at 240 W. Car­leton Rd., offers a COVID-19 testing walk-in service . The service is available for stu­dents on weekends from 10 a.m. — 6 p.m., but the clinic only offers poly­merase chain reaction testing, which detects genetic material of the virus. Results for PCR testing typ­i­cally take between one and five days. 

Last week, Hillsdale County reported 185 COVID-19 cases and four virus-related deaths, putting the number of cases up 11 from the pre­vious week. 

Hillsdale Hos­pital announced on Sept. 16 that it would limit vis­itors to the facility, citing an over­whelming influx of COVID-19-related hos­pi­tal­iza­tions. Only one visitor per patient is allowed to accompany a patient in the emer­gency room.