Annual Patriots Day event offering plane ride, raffles

Home City News Annual Patriots Day event offering plane ride, raffles

Students and local residents will have the opportunity to soar high over Hillsdale County at the 6th annual Patriot’s Day Fly-In on Sunday, Sept. 12.

Rain or shine, from 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. the Hillsdale Municipal Airport will offer airplane rides for $20 and helicopter rides for $40.

The Yankee Air Museum, a Michigan aviation museum that hosts WWII exhibits, is providing a  UH-1 Huey Greyhound helicopter for the event. This historic chopper flew in Vietnam as part of the 240th Assault Helicopter Company. Rides on the UH-1 Huey Greyhound helicopter will cost more than the other aircraft, at $99 per ride. But raffle tickets will be available for a chance to win a free ride.

Additionally, breakfast will be served until 11 a.m., at $7 for adults and $4 for children. A food truck from Johnny T’s will follow.

At the event, in honor of the anniversary of 9/11, Hooligan’s Formation Flying team will fly overhead. A classic car cruise will also be featured at the event.

According to Airport Manager Ginger Moore, 2,000 people are expected to turn out for the entertaining and educational event. College students are encouraged to attend.

“Anything out of the airport is educational. People will get to come out and see and learn different types of aircraft pilots. There’ll be quite a few military here as well,” Moore said. “There’s always a lot of fun things to learn when you come out here.”