Tennis falls to G-MAC opponents

Home Sports Homepage - Sports Tennis falls to G-MAC opponents
Tennis falls to G-MAC opponents
Sarah Hackman (left) and Hannah Cimpeanu (right) play at home earlier this season. (Ryan Goff | Collegian)

The Hillsdale College Chargers suffered back-to-back defeats over the weekend to the Findlay University Oilers and the Tiffin University Dragons by scores of 4-2.

Against Findlay, the Chargers dropped the singles point and scored two match wins in singles. Sophomore Canela Luna advanced her undefeated singles record with a 6-3,6-0 win on the third court, and junior Sophia Spinazze won 6-3, 6-1.

Against Tiffin, the Chargers notched two singles wins and held close to the rest after losing the doubles point in their 4-2 loss, where five sets were decided by tiebreaks.

“From Saturday’s match to Sunday’s match, we improved our energy and team support,” Spinazze said.

Junior Sarah Hackman won in straight sets at No. 2 singles. 

Again, Spinazze won her match in straight sets, this time holding out a tight first set tiebreak to take the match 7-6 (8), 6-3.

But Luna lost her first singles match of the season that was decided by two tiebreaks, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5). 

“It was just a couple of errors here and there,” Luna said.

After coming out ahead in a first set tiebreak, No. 1 singles senior Hannah Cimpeanu lost the next two sets 6-7 (5), 6-4, 6-3. 

All in all, the Chargers won two of five tiebreaks against Tiffin.

The weekend puts the Chargers at 4-5 on the season, and 1-2 in G-MAC competition.

“From here we are going to train hard during the week and put all the effort into our next matches and into the conference,” Luna said.

The Chargers have two more matches before the G-MAC tournament. Today, they travel to Cedarville University to play at 3:30. Sunday, they host Walsh University.

“I think that the team has a really good chance to do something at conference,” Luna said. “We are very close to the other two teams that we played in level.”