An artist ren­dering of a fried egg. | Flickr

I have never under­stood it. How can someone enjoy that metallic smell of a over­cooked yolk? Ruin a per­fectly good egg yolk?

Just like every food con­noisseur knows, you’re sup­posed to order your steak medium-rare. Why? Because that’s how to get the best taste. 

“The flavor is in the fat, if you cook it all out, you have a less-tasty and dryer steak,” Chef Wade Wiestling of Mastro’s Steak­house told Business Insider in an article about how to eat a steak. 

The same prin­ciple applies to eggs. The yolk of the egg con­tains almost all of the car­bo­hy­drates, sugar, cho­les­terol, and fat that can be found in an egg. This means that opting to cook your egg yolk actually dries out the egg’s fat, destroys the flavor, and ruins your egg experience. 

Think about it. 

You just rolled out of bed, stretched, yawned and heard the depths of your stomach crying out for food. You don’t want to stuff a dry bagel, topped with an over­cooked egg, into your dehy­drated mouth. No. You would rather bite into a bagel, feel the pop of the egg, and reward your taste buds with the creamy, silky goodness of a runny yolk.

Now some might argue that an egg yolk, when runny, is messy, sticky, and incon­ve­nient. But no one ever argued that con­suming del­i­cacies had to be clean or san­itary. You don’t hear people com­plain about their hands getting dirty when they chow down on baby-back ribs or ask for the fudge on their brownie sundae to be hardened so they don’t risk spilling it some­where. People embrace the glory of a good sauce and savor the new and exciting texture it provides. 

Over-easy eggs actually make everyone’s morning easier by pro­viding their own side sauce. When you’re running late to class or simply too lazy to cook up some hol­landaise, you can rely on the egg’s natural qual­ities. The moment you touch your egg on toast, you are blessed with a savory, velvety sauce. This yolk is the oasis in the barren desert that is your breakfast plate. 

Eggs were made with two dis­tinct parts: the white and the yolk. So why would you opt to destroy the natural beauty of an egg and cook it all the way through? 

Megan Williams is a sophomore studying rhetoric & public address.