Hillsdale United Brethren Church to host talk on ‘Comparison Girl’ book

Home City News Hillsdale United Brethren Church to host talk on ‘Comparison Girl’ book
Shannon Popkins holds her recent book, Comparison Girl. Regan Meyer | Collegian

When Cheryl Clawson first heard of the book “Comparison Girl,” she was intrigued. Now, after reading it and leading a local class on it, she can’t get enough. 

“Comparison Girl,” published in 2020 by Shannon Popkins, discusses how young women begin negatively comparing themselves to others at an early age. The book takes a Christian-oriented approach to the issue of comparison at all ages. An excerpt from Popkins’ description of her book reads:

“Do you compare yourself? On social media, in the neighborhood….do you drive yourself to prove that you measure up? Do you feel ashamed when you don’t? Measuring yourself against others isn’t healthy. And it isn’t God’s plan.”

Since its publication a year ago, “Comparison Girl” has been praised by various different Christian podcasters and authors.

Popkins, will give a talk on Saturday, April 17 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the HUB church in Hillsdale. Admission is free and open to the public. Popkins is from Grand Rapids and able to travel to be in person for the event.

Clawson invited Popkins to speak at the HUB as a supplement for the class she’s taught about “Comparison Girl” with her good friend Kathy Kelly. Clawson and Kelly have been leading the class for the past seven weeks. 

“We’ve had really good consistent attendance. There’s been about 15 people each class- which is a great size for our church because we have other things going on. I can tell they’re engaged by being consistent with the class,” Clawson said.

While members of the class will be at Popkins’ talk on Saturday, reading the book in its entirety is not a prerequisite for attending. 

“This event is open to anybody, because it’s so universal,” Clawson said. “It’s such a problem with women. I don’t think guys have as much trouble with it.”

Clawson booked Popkins before the summer months, because she wanted college students to be able to attend.

“I wanted it before the students left. I wanted to reach the college girl especially. I think if we can get this message out when women are younger, it can circumvent some problems that might come later in life,” Clawson said.

Clawson said the book and the Popkin’s talk can be helpful for women at any age.

“We are enough on our own. We don’t have to compare ourselves. And the freedom comes when we’re pouring out, giving to others, serving others,” she said.

Ashley Sallows and her 13-year-old daughter have been attending the class and will attend the talk on Saturday morning. Sallows said she believes the book should be required reading for young teens.

“It was really cool to go through and see how early we start comparing. She’s already comparing herself everyday, probably worse than we do. Knowing that’s a problem early on, would help us do less comparing,” Sallows said.

Sallows and Clawson said they were looking forward to hearing Popkins speak and round out the class discussion.

The HUB is located at 240 S. Howell Street in Hillsdale.