Battle of the beans: Which campus coffee shop is better?

Home Opinion Battle of the beans: Which campus coffee shop is better?
Penny’s General Manager Emily Barnum ’18 and Assistant Dean of Women Rebekah Dell in Penny’s coffee shop. Carmel Kookogey | Collegian

Penny’s coffee is superior

When it comes to on-campus coffee there is one obvious choice, and it’s in a dorm, not the Student Union. 

As one of the many students whose day does not start before their morning coffee, I understand how important the quality of coffee is. A bad cup ruins the rest of the day. But Penny’s never fails to serve the best-quality drinks, from the drip, to the lattes, to the chais. Roast — the most important component of coffee flavor — is of the utmost priority at Penny’s. The roast is shipped all the way from Uncommon Coffee Roasters in Saugatuck, MI. 

Not only is its brew superior, but so are the dairy-free options. It seems like more and more people are going dairy-free these days, and having a good alternative for them is an important cornerstone of any quality coffee shop. Penny’s was the first coffee shop on campus to offer oat milk, and is the only one that offers coconut milk.

Both Penny’s and A.J.’s Cafe offer food, but only one is consistent in quality. Penny’s purchases bagels from Ann Arbor and puts careful thought into all its snacks and baked goods to ensure that they pair well with coffee.

Walking through the front doors, you are immediately greeted by a smiling barista who clearly loves their job. As a barista myself, I know that those who love their job make much better coffee. These employees are not just there to cater to caffeine addicts, but make an effort to strike up conversation with customers, get to know them, and make them regulars. Hillsdale prides itself on its people, and it is evident that Penny’s does too.

This leads to another reason why Penny’s is obviously the superior coffee shop on campus: the atmosphere. Ambiance and aesthetics are important when it comes to studying, having a good conversation, and even just sitting quietly enjoying a cup of joe. Penny’s is modern, bright, and full of natural light, making it the perfect place to sit for hours on end sipping and working (or chatting) away. 

In addition to its coffee and gorgeous study space, Penny’s fosters a community with the events it holds each semester. From painting to concerts to suggest-a-new-drink-special competitions, there is always something going on for students to attend, and a space to destress and have some fun. 

Don’t fear the five-minute walk to New Dorm. The coffee and community is worth it.

Hannah Fleming is a junior George Washington Fellow studying economics.

AJ’s Cafe, where Hillsdalians can get their favorite snacks. Courtesy | Regan Meyer

A.J.’s cafe is all-inclusive

While juggling two papers, three midterms, a presentation, a far-from-adequate sleep schedule, and the looming pressure of a summer internship or job search, the comfortable aroma of curly fries wafts through the heart of campus: A.J.’s Cafe. 

As a staunch A.J.’s regular, I can say with confidence there is no place more cozy or welcoming than the wooden floors of the cafe. 

A.J.’s isn’t for the coffee snobs seeking aesthetic lavender chai lattes with oat milk, whipped cream, and two drops of stevia. It’s for the hustlers, those trying to stay social despite their endless train of assignments. While others make the argument for Penny’s’ superiority, Penny’s isn’t for everyone. A.J.’s is. A.J.’s doesn’t discriminate based on location, gender, or level of coffee knowledge. 

A Penny’s customer — as well as an employee — fits one picture: female, friendly, probably lives/lived in Olds, and overall “Christian girl autumn.” Although the college-owned establishment doesn’t actually require their customers to fit this stereotype, the segregation is de facto. Men don’t hang out at Penny’s, and neither do volleyball players nor STEM majors. 

A.J.’s culture, however, is all-inclusive. Its morning group of students is separate from that of the afternoon and evening cohorts. The camaraderie I associate with my nighttime A.J.-ers is on par with a sense of family. Although I don’t know all of their names, I feel safe and comfortable seeing about the same gang of students and workers every night. 

There is room for everyone. It is the one location on Hillsdale’s campus that represents the beautiful melting pot of social groups with such joie de vivre. Look to your left, there’s a pair of football players waiting for their hot food. Front corner? Ten Sigma Chi’s are crowded around a big circle table. I can always count on seeing my swimmers, Chi Omegas, and biology majors too. 

Need a minute to relax? Take a stroll on over to the conveniently-located fireplaces in the union. An intimate conversation? Look no further than the back couches. 

Aside from location and eclectic friendship, A.J.’s can fuel students in a way that puts other coffee shops to shame. There’s a well-known student affection for their chicken tenders. I’d challenge you to find a major Student Activities Board event without the beloved campus delicacy; you can’t. 

Whether gathered around a late-night study session or Bible study, A.J.’s has the menu, the company, and the location to fit all students’ needs.

Allison Schuster is a senior studying politics. She is associate editor for the Collegian.