Women’s tennis gears up for conference play

Home Sports Homepage - Sports Women’s tennis gears up for conference play
Sarah Hackman (left) and Hannah Cimpeanu (right) play at home earlier this season. (Ryan Goff | Collegian)

The Hillsdale College Chargers put the non-conference season behind them after falling 4-3 to the Grand Valley State University Lakers on March 15.

Now, the Chargers (3-3) look ahead to facing rivals like Walsh University and Tiffin University in April as they look to defend their G-MAC title. Since joining the G-MAC in 2017, the Chargers have won both conference championships and remain undefeated in the conference.

“Our main goal is to win the regular season title by going undefeated in conference play and then stay consistent through the conference tournament to earn an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament,” head coach Nikki Walbright said. “We are focusing on doubles play as we head into the next few matches.”

So far this season, the Chargers have won 7 of 18 matches doubles as a team, securing 3 of 6 possible doubles points. 

The doubles point has proven to influence the outcome of the matches, as all three of the Chargers’ doubles points come during match wins. Losing the doubles point sets the team at a disadvantage, despite the strong singles play from the Chargers this season. 

“We are definitely all excited to be back and ready for competition this year after having last year cut short,” junior Sarah Hackman said. “As a team I think our end goal is to win the conference, but to enjoy all the moments along the way. We have faced some injuries early on this season, but are looking good going into conference matches.”

Junior Sophia Spinazze said the Chargers have been working hard to achieve their goal.

We remind ourselves to start every practice, and work each day to make it happen,” Spinazze said.

Sophomore Canela Luna, undefeated in singles this season, said winning the conference is within their sights.

“If everyone rallies together, we can accomplish something great and win the conference,” Luna said. “But it will be a team effort, not an individual.”

To begin the conference season, the Chargers will face Kentucky Wesleyan University (2-2) away on Saturday, March 27, and play each weekend until the G-MAC Tournament on April 22.