Student Federation grants $7,170 to two clubs

Home News Student Federation grants $7,170 to two clubs
The Student Federation is prepared to help fund Hillsdale College clubs.
STUDENT FEDERATION | COURTESY

The Student Federation granted full funding to the first club proposals of the semester at its meeting on Feb. 25. The Lyceum and Catholic Society both received the funds they requested. 

“The clubs do hard work to get their funding proposals to us and then we go through it and find that, unsurprisingly, the clubs here are well-run and well intentioned,” sophomore and Student Federation Vice President Thomas MacPhee said. “We granted full funding without much debate or issue.”

According to MacPhee, Jonathan Meckel, president of The Lyceum, requested $650 for the club, which provides students and faculty regular opportunities to discuss serious topics or issues. The club requested the money to reimburse four dinners held over the semester—each estimated at a cost of $100—that provide a chance for club members to discuss the books they have been reading.

The club also requested money to buy the books the members read. Because the reading list is not easily found in the library and because participating students take time out of their schedule to participate, the club wanted to give the books as gifts to the members, MacPhee said. 

The finance committee recommended giving the club $400 and suggested that the remaining cost be paid with a $10 member fee for each dinner.

After listening to the concern that fewer students might participate in the dinners with the additional cost, sophomore representative Regina Gravrok proposed an amendment to the finance committee’s recommendation to give the club full funding. The amendment passed, and The Lyceum received $650.

Catholic Society Vice President David Strobach said his club requested $6,520 to cover the cost of the talks, “Freedom and Purpose: Jesus Christ and the Fulfillment of All Desire” given by Sister Miriam James Hiedland and Fr. James Burns in January, as well as the cost of the silent retreats given by the Miles Christi priests for the men and women of Catholic Society in February.

The federation granted the request in full.

“As a partnership, student clubs and the federation work together to improve campus life, and both sides saw this as a fitting match thanks to its deeply formative components,” Strobach, a former member of the federation, said. “It was a pleasure to work with the federation who demonstrated great professionality and diligence to help improve campus life.”

The federation also announced it will host a town hall meeting on March 4 at 8 p.m. in the Formal Lounge. Representatives will be available to listen to concerns and opinions of the student body and answer questions. MacPhee said all students are welcome to share their opinions or to come and listen.

“This is an opportunity for students to make their opinions clear to their representatives, and conversely, for representatives to better understand the opinions of their constituents,” MacPhee said.