COVID-19 on campus: Zero confirmed cases for three weeks

Home Big Grid - Home COVID-19 on campus: Zero confirmed cases for three weeks
Hillsdale College announced it would suspend in-person classes for the remainder of the spring semester in 2020. Nolan Ryan | Collegian

For the third week in the row, there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 on campus, according to the Student Activities Office newsletter.  Over the last two months, only six students have tested positive for the virus.

One student is currently in isolation awaiting test results after exhibiting COVID-19-like symptoms. 

Director of Student Activities Ashlyn Landherr ’16 said she’s noticed an increasingly active student body, which she attributes to a spirit of gratefulness for having a full, in-person semester for the first time since 2019.

“Campus wants to do a lot right now. There’s a lot of music and theater going on and SAB has its normal schedule,” Landherr said. “In comparison to past years, students may be a little more active this semester because they’re happy to be here.”

A little more than a year ago, Hillsdale students were sent home for spring break. They didn’t return to campus until the beginning of the fall semester. 

“All of the campus, students, staff, faculty, are cherishing these times, because we know what it’s like to not have them,” Landherr said.

Hillsdale students have a packed schedule the rest of the semester: The Panhellenic council is hosting its annual Greek Week this week, SAB is planning Centralhallapalooza, and the football, softball, baseball, golf, cross country, and tennis teams all have scheduled competitions. The senior class is also planning for a normal graduation for the class of 2021, where Hillsdale’s 169th commencement speaker Tim Allen will address the senior class.

As of now, Hillsdale is in a much better spot than it was a year ago, said Associate Dean of Men Jefferey Rogers.

“The forecast of 2021 looks not partly sunny but fully sunny,” Rogers said. “It’s a beautiful day at Hillsdale College, compared to last year when everybody was at home.”

A year ago, as students were on spring break away, the Collegian reported that classes would transition online, the dining hall would only offer to-go options, study-abroad trips would be canceled, and the Washington-Hillsdale Internship Program would be terminated for the rest of the semester. A headline from March 22 read: “COVID-19 halts life at Hillsdale College.”

A year later, with classes in full swing, a fully occupied dining hall, summer study abroad trips booked, and WHIP internships secured, life goes on at Hillsdale College.