Hillsdale in D.C. to host WHIP info session

Home News Hillsdale in D.C. to host WHIP info session
The Kirby Center’s Spring 2015 Class of students in Washington, D.C. Hillsdale College | Courtesy

Hillsdale in D.C. will be hosting an informational session in the Formal Lounge on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 1 p.m. for students who may be interested in applying for the Washington-Hillsdale Internship Program. 

Though an art major, WHIP Coordinator Jennifer Lessnau spent a semester in D.C. in the spring of 2019. She interned at the Museum of the Bible, where she helped photograph and catalogue ancient Torah scrolls. 

“I am excited to talk about what WHIP was like for me,” Lessnau said. “WHIP was one of my favorite semesters in college.” 

Matthew Spalding, vice president of Washington operations and dean of the Van Andel Graduate School of Government, serves as one of the professors who works at the Kirby Center, where students take classes. 

Lessnau and Spalding will give a general overview of the WHIP program. They will discuss how students can apply and share what a typical WHIP semester looks like. 

Because WHIP is a hybrid semester in which students work full-time in an internship while taking night classes, Lessnau and Spalding will give students some information on what to expect and how to prepare.

Following the informational portion of the meeting, there will be a Q&A period with WHIP alumni.

Senior Tess Ens, who went on WHIP last spring, said her time interning at the Capital Research Center reinforced her belief in the importance of hard work and a great attitude. 

“CRC was an amazing place to work,” Ens said. “The people I worked with are incredibly smart, driven, and dedicated to advancing the same set of values that I am dedicated to.”

Lessnau said WHIP provides real job and professional experience for anyone, regardless of any intended or declared major or minor. She encourages students of any interest to come check out the meeting, as it could be a vital asset to add to their college experience.